**** poor exhaust tone/sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All this talk about changing the way the new Gen2's sound. I just don't get it. A while back everyone was saying they were buying the new Raptors and didn't give two hoots about the sound. Is all the new exhaust talk about changing the sound to be more like a V8, or is it for increased performance? Just trying to get my head around the sudden influx of exhaust jibber jabber. It's a true dual, 3" exhaust right? How do you improve upon that? I can see a less restrictive muffler, maybe, but the rest of this 'sound' stuff just doesn't compute......

CSJr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did not realize you were a Jen 2 person and not a Gen 2. Would you like a safety pin and a safe space. You got called out on your claim that vapor ware sounds good. Get back to use when you have a truck and the exhaust

Your attempts to insult are amusing, albeit unoriginal. I think I'll take that safety pin, I have a feeling it will come in handy to deflate whatever it is that lifts your negativity. I had first thought you were master of the obvious. But now I have come to realize that you refute any system on which an after market muffler will sound good on a 2017 Raptor. So if video posted of a muffler sounding good on an ecoboost is "vapor ware" to you only because it is not on a 2017 3.5 HO yet, then your lack of faith disturbs me.

Kwoooo chaaaa
(d*mmit I misspelled Vader's breathing again)

Pacific Wheel

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm not getting a GEN 2 till MY2018 but I have thought about the sound. I personally think if you added a couple straight through mufflers to quiet the V6 noise down. If there is room you might be able to add a pair of high flow chambered mufflers. They wouldn't flow as well but they would definitely quiet the "Honda" exhaust tone. I'm sure once a few companies release aftermarket intake systems for this truck it will make the turbo sound more pronounced.

Ultimately just silence the exhaust and enhance the turbo noise. Everybody loves turbo noises :favorites13:

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All this talk about changing the way the new Gen2's sound. I just don't get it. A while back everyone was saying they were buying the new Raptors and didn't give two hoots about the sound. Is all the new exhaust talk about changing the sound to be more like a V8, or is it for increased performance? Just trying to get my head around the sudden influx of exhaust jibber jabber. It's a true dual, 3" exhaust right? How do you improve upon that? I can see a less restrictive muffler, maybe, but the rest of this 'sound' stuff just doesn't compute......

I definitely wasn't one of those guy that was saying that I didn't give two hoots about it. Every spy video clip that I heard of the Gen 2 Raptor sounded different and pretty bad in my opinion but I hoped it was just the way a cell phone audio tends to sound. I love everything about my new Raptor and it's better in every aspect in comparison to my Gen 1 except the sound.

SilentShooter

FRF Addict
Reaction score

If I do end of with a V6 EB Raptor I would be changing it for the performance and sound. The performance would be by getting rid of cats/downpipe and then probably dumps before the axle or side exits with a muffler that hopefully kept the tone as deep as possible but also louder.

when I get in a Gen 1 now with factory exhaust it freaks me out how quiet it is. I don't do quiet..

But fact is with a completely new powertrain and exhaust combination we have nothing yet on the market to know what the truck will sound like till people do custom one off exhausts or the shops get donor cars to produce kits.

Plenty of V6's sound good, no they don't sound like Big Block V8's and lets be honest the Gen 1 does not either. I'll wait and see what the market comes up with. I am sure they can come up with some things that at least sound better then factory and I am sure plenty will also sound like total crap

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
this was my ecoboost prior to the raptor with a 5* tune and corsa db exhaust...looking back now, it sounds like shit to me, WOT was far worse

I've never heard a aftermarket catback that sounded good on a gen1 ecoboost.
I did like the sound of a catless downpipe w/stock catback on my 2011.