**** poor exhaust tone/sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know about the weight being negligible. I've driven steel cab F150's with big V8's and to me there is a huge difference between the two from a handling perspective.

The front end of the big engined, steel cab, trucks plow and feel heavy in turns. Whereas the aluminum cab with the smaller engines feel quite nimble in comparison.

Maybe it's just me.

I don't have any published numbers, but when you look at the engines side by each, there is a significant difference in mass.

I'm personally not minimizing the vehicle weight savings of 500 pounds. In a Gen 1 that's equivalent to a gain of 35 horsepower. I just don't think much of it, if any, came from the power train. Those DOHC heads are huge and with two turbos and all the plumbing, I doubt that 3.5 is a very light engine. Would really love to see the specs.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm personally not minimizing the vehicle weight savings of 500 pounds. In a Gen 1 that's equivalent to a gain of 35 horsepower. I just don't think much of it, if any, came from the power train. Those DOHC heads are huge and with two turbos and all the plumbing, I doubt that 3.5 is a very light engine. Would really love to see the specs.
They both suffer (weight wise) from huge DOHC heads. But the old 6.2L is an iron blocked engine, right there you're adding 100lb unnecessarily to your front end. Here's the no-accessories weight of a few engines:

Ford 6.2L is 580 lb
GM LS is 410-450 lb depending on config
Coyote 5.0L is 444 lb
Mopar G3 Hemi around 530 lb

The aluminum block Ecoboost 3.5L including turbos and without accessory drive is 417 lb. So add a bit of aluminum and plastic plumbing and an intercooler with fans, maybe 430 lb on the high side. Effectively, you're shaving well over 100lb from just the engine and moving the center of mass rearward.

Also goes to show how much weight the boxed frame, updated suspension and then all the luxo/electrical stuff added right back into the truck.

Truckzor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
They both suffer (weight wise) from huge DOHC heads. But the old 6.2L is an iron blocked engine, right there you're adding 100lb unnecessarily to your front end. Here's the no-accessories weight of a few engines:

Ford 6.2L is 580 lb
GM LS is 410-450 lb depending on config
Coyote 5.0L is 444 lb
Mopar G3 Hemi around 530 lb

The aluminum block Ecoboost 3.5L including turbos and without accessory drive is 417 lb. So add a bit of aluminum and plastic plumbing and an intercooler with fans, maybe 430 lb on the high side. Effectively, you're shaving well over 100lb from just the engine and moving the center of mass rearward.

Also goes to show how much weight the boxed frame, updated suspension and then all the luxo/electrical stuff added right back into the truck.

The 6.2 is a SOHC. I agree the 6.2 should have had an aluminum block, though. Really wish they would have done that, then freshened up the heads and cams, possibly used some lighter weight valves. Would have been pretty easy to get 440-450 horsepower out of it with 80-100 less pounds. But that ship set sail long ago.

Anyway, I really wanted to swap a built LS7 into my truck but couldn't find anyone who wanted to try to tackle the tuning. If Ford never puts a V8 in the Gen 2 on their own I may try to look for a solution to that again.

Bombsquad68

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 6.2 is a SOHC. I agree the 6.2 should have had an aluminum block, though. Really wish they would have done that, then freshened up the heads and cams, possibly used some lighter weight valves. Would have been pretty easy to get 440-450 horsepower out of it with 80-100 less pounds. But that ship set sail long ago.

Anyway, I really wanted to swap a built LS7 into my truck but couldn't find anyone who wanted to try to tackle the tuning. If Ford never puts a V8 in the Gen 2 on their own I may try to look for a solution to that again.
My bad, meant OHC. I'm also a big fan of the GM LS engines, if nothing else OHV is cheaper and is much easier to integrate cylinder deactivation as CAFE regs begin to shit on everyones parade. Complexity/cost for multi displacement is probably one of the main reasons Ford completely ditched the 6.2L in trying to get better fuel economy.