**** poor exhaust tone/sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Digger

Digger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying a turbo engine has "instant torque response" compared to a N/A engine?

I know Ford used tiny turbos to fight the lag, but come on. Until the turbo spools, you have no boost. It doesn't spool instantly.

If you want to experience true instant torque response from idle to redline, you should drive a V8 with a positive displacement supercharger.

I've been saying all along that there's virtually no turbo lag with my Gen 2 and I honestly feel there was more lag/hesitation with my Gen 1 when mashing the gas to the floor and I thought it had something to do with the traction control as well. My Gen 1 was a whole different truck with the 5 Star tune and most if not all of the hesitation was gone after tuning it. I'm well aware of what turbo lag is because I had each yr of the Buick Grand National and those V6's had some serious lag to them and both of my wife's Mini Coopers had quite a bit of lag too.

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So you are saying a turbo engine has "instant torque response" compared to a N/A engine?

I know Ford used tiny turbos to fight the lag, but come on. Until the turbo spools, you have no boost. It doesn't spool instantly.

If you want to experience true instant torque response from idle to redline, you should drive a V8 with a positive displacement supercharger.

While I prefer a PD blower for almost any application, I can say the sport mode for the ecoboost really wakes it up down low.
It really cuts down any lag to the point where it's feels like it's almost instant.

Been driving a loaner ecoboost f150, and a switch to sport mode really makes it a fun stop light to stop light truck.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well that's not true with a PD blower. You still have to build boost.

Have you driven a vehicle equipped with a roots or twin screw supercharger? There's no such thing as building boost with that type of supercharger.

A PD blower is always "in boost". A bypass valve allows the compressed air to go from the discharge side of the blower back to the inlet side of the blower, effectively keeping the cylinders from seeing any boost. As soon as your foot drops, the bypass valve snaps shut and you get instant full boost. I guess you could say there's a lag from the bypass valve closing, but I bet you can't actually time it because it happens so quickly.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

I've been saying all along that there's virtually no turbo lag with my Gen 2 and I honestly feel there was more lag/hesitation with my Gen 1 when mashing the gas to the floor and I thought it had something to do with the traction control as well. My Gen 1 was a whole different truck with the 5 Star tune and most if not all of the hesitation was gone after tuning it. I'm well aware of what turbo lag is because I had each yr of the Buick Grand National and those V6's had some serious lag to them and both of my wife's Mini Coopers had quite a bit of lag too.

While I prefer a PD blower for almost any application, I can say the sport mode for the ecoboost really wakes it up down low.
It really cuts down any lag to the point where it's feels like it's almost instant.

Been driving a loaner ecoboost f150, and a switch to sport mode really makes it a fun stop light to stop light truck.

Well since I've not driven a Gen 2 Ecoboost- I'll take your word for it that's it's not a laggy setup. You guys are obviously knowledgeable enough to know what's what.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haters will call it a Fiat. Reality is Ram is keeping the faith.

I'll be the first to sell the damn gen 2 and buy that beast...if they make it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Have you driven a vehicle equipped with a roots or twin screw supercharger? There's no such thing as building boost with that type of supercharger.

A PD blower is always "in boost". A bypass valve allows the compressed air to go from the discharge side of the blower back to the inlet side of the blower, effectively keeping the cylinders from seeing any boost. As soon as your foot drops, the bypass valve snaps shut and you get instant full boost. I guess you could say there's a lag from the bypass valve closing, but I bet you can't actually time it because it happens so quickly.

---------- Post added at 10:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 AM ----------

Well since I've not driven a Gen 2 Ecoboost- I'll take your word for it that's it's not a laggy setup. You guys are obviously knowledgeable enough to know what's what.

Nah...I don't know anything about them. I'm just weighing in without any firsthand knowledge!

efec286009dbc80f991e0df40ce6a755.jpg

a8f3a2aae5bec0ae01370caeaa2790df.jpg

The V put 725 to the rear end and the Vette, well it was salty but not my cup of tea. You cant tell that there is any lag but to say that there is no lag is not accurate. My point being that there is no such thing as no lag in a forced induction engine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hewster

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I didn't realize ford offered a stock v8 supercharged engine. My bad.

Clearly you haven't looked at torque charts for the GEN 2 vs other stock trucks.

Last edited:

ogdobber

FRF Addict
Reaction score
btw there is no such thing as (drive by wire lag) any "delay" is put there by design and can be programmed out. Turbo lag is real, but on todays turbos its minimal compared to 20 years ago...still annoying. Soon we will have the F1 hybrid turbos and then we can finally say goodbye to lag.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Last edited: