**** poor exhaust tone/sound

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Says the guy who doesn't know what boost lag is?

If you think what you experienced in a 2017 Raptor was boost lag...than you don't know the difference between boost lag and drive by throttle wire lag.

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If the vehicle is not straight i.e. You have not finished turning and you mash the gas the traction control will come on and people confuse that with lag. This happens on lots of different brands and some times the TC light does not even come on. The Gen2 has minimal lag, drive by wire throttle and down shift time are mostly to blame. NA engines are traditionally instantaneous in response but can suffer from delays from the drive by wire and transmission.

What I am saying here is the Gen 2 is classified as a low or no turbo lag vehicle inside the industry. Think what you want from your side of the argument but until you have driven and 1970s 911/930 turbo Porsche you don't know what lag is!!!

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Instant torque response when the pedal is pushed>v8 sound.

But yes, I do love a nice V8 growl... but I am loving the turbo's as well.

So you are saying a turbo engine has "instant torque response" compared to a N/A engine?

I know Ford used tiny turbos to fight the lag, but come on. Until the turbo spools, you have no boost. It doesn't spool instantly.

If you want to experience true instant torque response from idle to redline, you should drive a V8 with a positive displacement supercharger.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've always been brand loyal but looks like I'll have to test drive a few dodges if ford don't step up.

pjones

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think there is built in anti-lag when in baja mode, where engine will keep turbos spooled for faster response. The K04 turbos aren't that big so a 3.5L motor should be able to get them to make boost at low rpm.

Last edited:

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think there is built in anti-lag when in baja mode, where engine will keep turbos spooled for faster response. The K04 turbos aren't that big so a 3.5L motor should be able to get them to make boost at low rpm.

All true. However, if you are sitting at idle and punch it- there will be a period of time that passes before the exhaust gases accelerate the turbo's impeller enough to produce boost. I think pretty much most guys who are talking about this have driven a modern turbo charged engine and know exactly how they perform. Gas it, get 50% power for a half second, and off we go. Ford may well have the best turbo engine on the market now, but they did not defy physics when they built it. Inertia and all those draconian laws of motion still apply.

---------- Post added at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:05 AM ----------

I've always been brand loyal but looks like I'll have to test drive a few dodges if ford don't step up.

Oh hell, don't even go there. Fiat's stuff is junk.

kdub405

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So you are saying a turbo engine has "instant torque response" compared to a N/A engine?

I know Ford used tiny turbos to fight the lag, but come on. Until the turbo spools, you have no boost. It doesn't spool instantly.

If you want to experience true instant torque response from idle to redline, you should drive a V8 with a positive displacement supercharger.

Well that's not true with a PD blower. You still have to build boost. That said, it gets there quick. The only way to get instant torque would be to buy an electric car and god knows no one around here would ever be caught in one. Not sure what you guys would do with the whine of an electric motors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Azholley

17 AG, 21 IS, R pending
Reaction score

Test drive it to the shop cause that's the place you'll be visiting the most [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk