Paint Protection Done! Protecting My Raptor's Paint From "Pinstriping"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oh they were there, but they came right out. I dunno what my wizard of a detailer does, but the truck looks better than brand new. And given how awful it was when I dropped it off, that's really saying something.

But that's why I like your solution; no detailer needed (to remove pinstriping anyway) You're much safer than those of us who run without the "Raptor ******" mod :mrgreen:

There's only so much anyone can do to eliminate them. If scrapes are in the clear coat then they can often be removed with car care products including polishes. If scrapes are deeper (in the paint) then the detailer can go into the paint (typically with a mechanical polisher/buffer. They can get the scrapes out BUT they also remove the clear coat and the paint below it. And there's only so much paint they can remove (only so many times they can do this - sometimes only once). So having deep scrapes removed may be a one-time affair and that's what can make it worth holding off on doing that until you've "collected" a number of them and then having it done once.

And if the scrapes/scratches are through the paint then it will take touch-up or re-painting to fix that.

Great job! One idea is to use the tape on the leading edges by the headligths or any area that does not get covered by the magnets.

Thanks. You're right about using the tape. If you've ever been to a road (race) track you've probably seen racers use the blue painters tape to protect the leading edges of their cars. This duct-like tape would be excellent for that and I'll be sure to cover more of the Raptor's skin with it.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good point Dan.

I think I was safe this time. Before doing anything but washing 'er off, he ran his hand (fingernail) over the "bad" areas and detected nothing deep enough to worry about.

But good point, none the less.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah, I obviously have no idea what your paint blemishes were like nor do I know what your guy did so I didn't mean to come off as questioning what you/he did. It was a good opportunity to talk about paint blemishes and the options for removing them in a thread about one way to avoid them.

I'm cursed (and blessed) with a black Raptor so "I've got issues" :mrgreen:

Nacho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan, that looks really good for a self done job. As long as its protected, better safe than sorry. ESPECIALLY on a black truck.
Couldn't resist. (gotta get my photoshop muscle working again)
Trojan_Extended_Pleas_LRGcopy.jpg
[/IMG]

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Haha!

Ewwwww Dan uses expired protection!?!?! WTF Dan?

:mrgreen:

Raptor enroute

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Dan you can come out of the closet I think this has less to do with protecting the paint and more to do with the fact you really wanted a white Raptor:) Just kidding my friend thanks for the write up and pictures.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You caught me!

url

Actually I wanted a Zebra Raptor. I can't make up my mind between black or white so, on that trip, I had both. Just like that cat in the pic - both black and white. :D

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recommend switching from the blue painters tape to the dark gray tape (both 3M products). The blue painters tape is a lot more like paper while the dark gray tape is a lot more like duct tape - it's much more durable.

Really I didn't even know about this gray tape? Does it still have the same properties as the blue tape in terms of not leaving behind residue? I buy blue tape by the pallet (literally) so its pretty easy for me to get rolls of it. I'll have to look into the gray stuff. I use blue tape when I'm detailing.

For the people talking about the 'desert pin striping' most of the time those are more like just wide swirls (depth into the clearcoat wise). In general, on factory paint jobs, if you can feel a scratch with your fingernail you can remove it but it usually requires wetsanding, and on a factory paintjob its best left to someone very familiar with wetsanding/buffing, but it is definitely do-able and even if it thins down your clear a bit its better than re-painting that panel. Anytime you polish it thins your paint but in reality I have polished (not compounded) my mustang about 10 times since I've had it and my clearcoat still has nice thick readings and as long as you keep your paint in good shape you can polish a lot without removing too much clear to achieve perfection.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Really I didn't even know about this gray tape? Does it still have the same properties as the blue tape in terms of not leaving behind residue? I buy blue tape by the pallet (literally) so its pretty easy for me to get rolls of it. I'll have to look into the gray stuff. I use blue tape when I'm detailing.

It left ZERO residue on my black truck even though the tape was on for 3 1/2 days in heat up near 90 degrees F and as low as the high 30's. I highly recommend it.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Great work Nach!

You could have put some text on there like, "Dirt Road Proven" or "Hershey Highway Tested", etc. :mrgreen:

Dan, that looks really good for a self done job. As long as its protected, better safe than sorry. ESPECIALLY on a black truck.
Couldn't resist. (gotta get my photoshop muscle working again)
Trojan_Extended_Pleas_LRGcopy.jpg
[/IMG]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khunter