Paint Protection Done! Protecting My Raptor's Paint From "Pinstriping"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The patterns were accurate but some areas of the magnetic sheeting needed to be trimmed. For example, the bottoms of the doors curve in pretty tightly and the magnetic sheeting didn't want to wrap in multiple directions. I was able to trim quite a bit (several inches) off the bottom of the sheeting at the bottoms of the doors and still have good coverage. Plus the running boards offer protection in that area.

Next step? Taping the sheets onto the Raptor's skin. I did it because I noticed the Land Rover guy did it. And because I wanted to make sure it stayed on the entire time. I didn't want an edge to catch in the wind or on some brush and then come completely off. I also wanted to ensure the sheeting would stay in place and not move around on the skin.

Using the 3M tape (over 1 roll), I taped the sheeting onto the truck. I started in the back of the magnetic sheets so the tape overlap (at the tape seams) wouldn't face into the wind (I drove a steady 85 MPH out to Laughlin, Nevada, on the freeway late Thursday night). I wanted the tape to stay on and it did.

Starting to tape

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2390.jpg

IMG_2389.jpg

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Every edge was taped all around each piece of magnetic sheeting.

IMG_2398.jpg

I didn't cover the tailgate nor did I have any time to tape the front or front fenders (except for a small piece I put on the right front fender - I simply taped it on).

IMG_2499.jpg

IMG_2593.jpg

IMG_2500.jpg

Here you can see protected area and adjacent to that an unprotected area. Note that all those markings that look like scratches really aren't. It's mostly dust that has been brushed by the bushes and for the most part they aren't scratches.

IMG_2501.jpg

Here's the Zebra Raptor

IMG_2510.jpg

Note that I had to cut the magnetic sheeting to allow the gas filler door to open. I taped it shut using several pieces of duct tape and I folded the ends of the pieces over so I could pull on the tabs to open the magnetic sheeting "flap" over the gas filler.

So, what's the bottom line?

1. The tape held on extremely well over three days. Only one piece showed any signs of starting to curl back. No tape came off.
2. The temperatures reached 85 degrees and fell as low as about 40 degrees. No problems with the tape or the magnetic sheeting.
3. My primary concern was the tape. Would it hold up? And, more importantly, would it come off easily or with great difficulty? Would it leave residue in some areas or all over?
The tape came off very easily - as easily as the blue painters tape! Furthermore, there was NO adhesive tape residue! Anywhere!

I removed the tape and the sheeting in minutes. There was very little very fine dust under the lower area of a couple of the panels. That dust is so fine it can't be kept out of anything.

The sheet metal under the magnetic sheeting was PRISTINE! No a mark, scratch, swirl - nothing!

The magnetic sheeting is reusable. I need to wipe it down (the magnetic side). I washed down the white vinyl side while it was on the Raptor after the trip to get most of the dirt and dust off. I need to find a place to store the sheeting so I can use it again. It should only take about 30 minutes to put the sheeting back on.

I highly recommend this solution for those of you who run through the woods and brush. Especially if you have a black Raptor. This metallic black paint is beautiful - I hope you've seen it in person. But it shows everything and minor scrapes on any other color Raptor are more than minor on the Tuxedo Black Raptor.

This solution gets 5 stars. As long as you have time to do it right once - the first time - you should be very happy with it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Now, let the jokers join this thread. On the trip we spent a good amount of time talking about how my Raptor had a body ****** on it and how it was pulling the other trucks along because of the magnets. Etc., etc., etc. Lots of jokes and fun - it's all good because I get the last laugh. ;)

31A5W49MFAL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it is a good solution. Ridiculous looking, but good none the less :mrgreen: :wink:

FWIW, I had my Raptor detailed yesterday and there is absolutely no sign of any scratches, so I think the magnets were probably overkill this time. But there was no way to know that, and as you said Dan, this becomes even more of a concern with the darker colors. White can hide an awful lot.

BUT... next time... you aint gonna be so lucky in avoiding... decoration... Someone might just put a Sharpie in The Dugger's hand....

SVTRay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Someone might just put a Sharpie in The Dugger's hand....

You have a lot more self control than me :mrgreen:

The first time I saw his truck with those side panels, I thought of all kinds of bumper sticker and sharpie ideas.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dan... I have to say that was one ambitious project and you did a great job!

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In all seriousness, it is a good solution. Ridiculous looking, but good none the less :mrgreen: :wink:

FWIW, I had my Raptor detailed yesterday and there is absolutely no sign of any scratches, so I think the magnets were probably overkill this time. But there was no way to know that, and as you said Dan, this becomes even more of a concern with the darker colors. White can hide an awful lot.

I'm surprised you didn't get any marks or scrapes on the front corners, on the B pillars (between the front door and rear door windows) or around your headlights. The black plastic areas are especially susceptible to marking.

White is perhaps the easiest color to care for (of the 4 colors Ford's making Raptors in) and to hide any blemishes.

I'm not worried about Dugger using a marker - he'd be too drunk to do much damage - it's you Raptor owners that I worry about. But it's all good. You mark up my vinyl I can get revenge on your ****** Raptor paint :mrgreen:

SuperRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So your total cost for the product was 150? Thats not too bad really. I have done the bluetape method before and it works pretty good and you can make all sorts of designs and whatnot, lol.

OP
OP
M

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I recommend switching from the blue painters tape to the dark gray tape (both 3M products). The blue painters tape is a lot more like paper while the dark gray tape is a lot more like duct tape - it's much more durable.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm surprised you didn't get any marks or scrapes on the front corners, on the B pillars (between the front door and rear door windows) or around your headlights. The black plastic areas are especially susceptible to marking.
Oh they were there, but they came right out. I dunno what my wizard of a detailer does, but the truck looks better than brand new. And given how awful it was when I dropped it off, that's really saying something.

But that's why I like your solution; no detailer needed (to remove pinstriping anyway) You're much safer than those of us who run without the "Raptor ******" mod :mrgreen:

Raptor1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great job! One idea is to use the tape on the leading edges by the headligths or any area that does not get covered by the magnets. Keep the magnets away from metal filings!!!! Store in some type of bag.