Overlanding Spare Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the usual of fluids, serpentine belts, and a spare tire. What spare parts would you bring on an overlanding adventure? So far the only thing I can think of is an extra tie rod. Side question, what parts are commonly broken on the raptors while off roading?

realjones88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A second full size spare (you are way more likely to get flats than anything else) with a better jack and 50 watt VHF radio would be useful add ons. I don't think you need to go nuts with spare parts if you are overlanding. Sure you can bring a driveshaft, but are you really gonna do the work to change it?

alcoolaid

Reaction score
My power steering rack failed during a 2 week Moab trip. Limped it to the dealer and they swapped it out.

I’ve seen a starter die and broken rear wheel speed sensor wiring.

Some basic electrical tools like a wire stripper and some electrical tape might come in handy.

MudLovingFJ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IWE
4WD check valve
Front axle
Spare F&R wheel speed sensors
Miscellaneous hardware
Various size hose clamps
Tire plug kit & compressor

OP
OP
Steebo

Steebo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I completely overlooked all electrical so thanks for the reminder. I dont plan on bringing axles cause I'll have buddies that can pull me so I can limp in 4wd home, same goes for iwe. I am strongly considering a 2nd spare as I plan on relocating the current spare and installing on board air. However I might be bringing a steering rack...

SurfRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know the answer but what devices if any are needed to see check engine light codes on the Raptor? Many of items you are talking about can be physically seen and wouldn't even throw a check engine like a tie rod end or something. If you are over landing you need a way to know what the check engine light status is should it come up and then the tools to possibly fix it.

Second spare, tire plug kit, OBA and auto air down (
), PB Blaster, I would consider adding to the list.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bottle of booze in case you’re stuck overnight.

hedonist222

Full Access Member
Reaction score
a few that come to mind:

Spares
:
air filter
Spare coolant
Spare engine oil
Assorted Fuses

Tools
Tire repair kit - those things that plug into rips/holes.
Air compressor
Zip ties
JB Weld: KwikWeld