Out their dam minds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jsmcgregor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2011 Raptor (Black) that was totaled 3 weeks ago. I payed 49K for the truck. The Insurance's depreciated value three years later was 44K and some change. Point is, the depreciation on a Raptor is relatively low compared to other vehicles. After it was totaled, I immediately started my search for a new one. The dealer I bought my 2011 from was going to sell me a new one for ~2K over invoice or, if you prefer, 2K under MSRP. The problem was he couldn't find any other dealer willing to sell him the truck for anything less than 1K over MSRP. I ended up calling every ford dealer in a 100 mile radius who had one on the lot. All, except one, had a markup between 5 and 10 thousand. What I learned was that it is not only the consumer that is willing to spend more than MSRP, it is also the dealers who are willing to buy them from other dealers at above MSRP and pay the transportation cost to their dealership. They of course pass the additional cost on to the costumer. My dealer would have honored the 2K if I was willing to order one. In the end though, he found a dealer for me that wouldn't sell it to him, but would sell me the truck for 1K under MSRP. My dealer didn't have to turn me on to this deal but he did.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
A coworker of mine has an aunt that owns a used car lot. I can attest to the slower than average depreciation (according to his aunt). She said they depreciate about 3 times slower than regular 1/2 tons. She is selling a 2011 for 45k

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
As a person who met the Beibs in person recently I can vouch that he's not a *****.
He does, however, own a purple truck.

Wait. Wait, wait, wait. I know this is off-topic, but I have gotta know. JB refers to herself as an FRF Lady, and you call her a him. Um, would it be indelicate to inquire after the sex of FRF Lady JustinBieber?

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's noteworthy to mention how much the dealer allocation process has evolved over the years. In the early days (2010-2011), dealers would get a set amount of dealer inventoried raptors for that year but they were able to special order almost as many as they had actual customers on. It's not that many but we probably did 20 deals for forum members in that time period for near invoice without any reflection on the preset dealer inventoried allocation. I'm sure the inventoried trucks back then still went for a premium as the dealers still wanted to cash in on the draw of the raptor but at least people who did their research could get into one for a good deal.

Fast forward to today, gone are the days of what seemed like unlimited special orders. Dealers get X amount of new builds per month and it's up to them how to use them. Some months the allocation is 0.

I guess the point I'm making is the landscape has changed and sales prices are reflecting that. Hell, what does it tell you when dealers are buying them from each other for $1K over MSRP?

On the flip side, as an owner, I'm very content knowing that my resale is going to benefit from the market conditions. We've all been there with fast depreciating vehicles so it's nice to have something that retains it's value for a change.

Last edited:

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wait. Wait, wait, wait. I know this is off-topic, but I have gotta know. JB refers to herself as an FRF Lady, and you call her a him. Um, would it be indelicate to inquire after the sex of FRF Lady JustinBieber?

Well either he really is a guy, or has the best tuck job this side of the Mississippi.

On the topic of the markup: I got an email back from a dealer in north Hollywood that is taking offers over msrp. He said that brokers are trying to snatch them up for export. So they won't make any deals in order to keep the sale in the states.

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
It's noteworthy to mention how much the dealer allocation process has evolved over the years. In the early days (2010-2011), dealers would get a set amount of dealer inventoried raptors for that year but they were able to special order almost as many as they had actual customers on. It's not that many but we probably did 20 deals for forum members in that time period for near invoice without any reflection on the preset dealer inventoried allocation. I'm sure the inventoried trucks back then still went for a premium as the dealers still wanted to cash in on the draw of the raptor but at least people who did their research could get into one for a good deal.

Fast forward to today, no more what seemed like unlimited special orders. Dealers get X amount of new builds per month and it's up to them how to use them. Some months the allocation is 0.

I guess the point I'm making is the landscape has changed and sales prices are reflecting that. Hell, what does it tell you when dealers are buying them from each other for $1K over MSRP?

On the flip side, as an owner, I'm very content knowing that my resale is going to benefit from the market conditions. We've all been there with fast depreciating vehicles so it's nice to have something retains it's value for a change.

word. In late 2010/early 2011 I went to 2 ford dealers near me and test drove raptors and they offered money off MSRP before I even started negotiating with them. Bob Wondries, one of the ford dealers I went to, even had 3 on the lot ready to go (black scab, black screw, and orange screw).I didn't buy one then because I lived in downtown LA and a pickup truck didn't fit my needs then.

By mid-2012 when I ordered my truck through Redlands, everyone was charging over MSRP and I was confused as to what happened. Interesting to learn the reason why that happened.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the topic of the markup: I got an email back from a dealer in north Hollywood that is taking offers over msrp. He said that brokers are trying to snatch them up for export. So they won't make any deals in order to keep the sale in the states.

Wow. Since when has an American buyer been at a disadvantage when it comes to buying an American product???

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score

To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore.

I think physically I qualify as a man, but I'm really a woman trapped in a man's body.

I can't afford a gender reassignment surgery (even at Thailand prices) but thankfully I have enough extra pounds on my body as to have supple man breasts.

I'm thankful that the moderators here, especially BIRDMAN, allow me to identify as a woman online and provided me with the FRF Lady tag. I'm also thankful for the members here that accept me for who I am without freaking out or being homophobic.

Sorry to derail the thread guys. PM me if you have any further questions Ruger.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Wow. Since when has an American buyer been at a disadvantage when it comes to buying an American product???

He might have been blowing smoke. Although I do know there's a huge market for raptors outside of the states.

D

Deleted member 12951

To be honest, I'm not even sure anymore.

I think physically I qualify as a man, but I'm really a woman trapped in a man's body.

I can't afford a gender reassignment surgery (even at Thailand prices) but thankfully I have enough extra pounds on my body as to have supple man breasts.

I'm thankful that the moderators here, especially BIRDMAN, allow me to identify as a woman online and provided me with the FRF Lady tag. I'm also thankful for the members here that accept me for who I am without freaking out or being homophobic.

Sorry to derail the thread guys. PM me if you have any further questions Ruger.

WTF?