Order or wait?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Frank N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Aug 2018? I would be suspicious of that. Make sure they have an allocation.

I totally agree with the order it as you want it approach, it's not chump change for a Ford product. Get what you want.

Have you talked to any small dealers, Main St type locations? There is a lot less 'slick' salesguys usually than the highway fuggers. On another note, if you bought aFord anywhere, call them first, returning customer, want to buy a Raptor at MSRP, yada yada...that's what I did. Small dealer, returning customer, Frank-no problem, we will call you when the order books open for MY18 at MSRP. Boom, done, first allocation, should be here mid August 2017....

df4801

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Order now then.

Deposits are refundable (make sure yours is) if you change your mind or find a better deal.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I'm actually only talking the small dealerships, one of them somehow has 2 raptors for sale right now but they want 5-7 mark up. I just talked to the other dealer on the phone and the deal we have now is for invoice plus 2.5 thousand, so this should be like 2.5 below msrp since I'm getting it loaded. They are saying it will be this time next summer when I get it. I hope this is actually true cause that's when I want it. Not way earlier or way later

Monster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems like they will start delivering 2019s in August 2018. I ordered a 17 last fall and got it a month ago, so if you feel like the deal is legit and works for you maybe you should do it.

I think there is a decent possibility of 2019 getting a V8 option. I don't think it will be a 5.0. Something bigger without turbos. But too early to know. I think I would probably take my chances over the next year and shop around...since it is almost 13 months to order a truck, unless I could get my deposit back. But that's just me, you got to do what you want.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Seems like they will start delivering 2019s in August 2018. I ordered a 17 last fall and got it a month ago, so if you feel like the deal is legit and works for you maybe you should do it.

I think there is a decent possibility of 2019 getting a V8 option. I don't think it will be a 5.0. Something bigger without turbos. But too early to know. I think I would probably take my chances over the next year and shop around...since it is almost 13 months to order a truck, unless I could get my deposit back. But that's just me, you got to do what you want.

Just a hunch, but I suspect politics will keep Ford from putting a V8 in the Raptor. V6 doesn't get any respect from truck buyers but Ford really wants to convince XLT and Lariat buyers to go for the V6 EcoBoost for regulatory reasons. Putting a 450hp V6TT in their halo truck gives the impression a V6TT is good enough for everyone.

I don't have any inside information, but I think Ford is more likely to drop the V8 from the entire truck line than they are to add a V8 to the Raptor. They are betting their future on the EcoBoost line and they are using the halo vehicles to convince regular Joe buyers.

Sasquatch77

Banned
Reaction score
That subject has been beat to death already. The government numbers are not something that drives an engine choice in a Ford Performance product. That division is just a few % of Ford total sales, so gas mileage does not factor in there. With EPA regulations being rolled back, it provides auto manufacturers some flexibility on future engine choices. Again, Ford has something nice that will be ready for the Raptor soon.
My advice for those who have not bought already, or who can get out of an order is to just WAIT.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's a waste of time to explain to you how a halo product affects consumer preference further down the product line. But Ford understands it and is why they elected to put the highly controversial V6TT in the Raptor despite all the backlash. If they wanted to put a V8 in there, they would have. A V8 would have been easier, cheaper, and not at all controversial, but Ford is willing to rock the boat for their vision of the future just like they did with the AL bodies. Why don't you go bother people on a Ram forum.

OP
OP
M

Msb.19d

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've thought about holding back and seeing if a v8 does become available but unless it had more than 450 hp I wouldn't want it over the v6, the v6 with borla exhaust sounds pretty good from videos I've watched and heard. I just don't know what in the world to do. Placeing order and not lose anything if I decide to cancel is best