Opinions on toolbox/built right racks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So on my 2018 Raptor & 2 previous GM trucks I’ve been running undercover swingcase toolboxes- in all applications I mounted them to the truck using stainless nuts/bolts going up under the inside of fender and/or removing taillight to make sure I could get a few spots w/ bolts vs the supplier self tapping screws so the thing was really secure & I didn’t have to worry about having 50-60 lbs in it.

When I got my new 2020 raptor the tonneau I got w/ the deal was a Ford tri-fold w/ the spring driven pull down grips that just clamp onto the bedside. I don’t particularly like the tonneau design but it was free & the ribs are arched so it’s good @ preventing any water getting in....BUT I don’t see how I can mount this toolbox & still have clearance for the pull down handle- one thought I actually had was getting some built-right racks as I was already interested in them & securing the swingcase to the rack & just letting it stay in place - wouldn’t swing out but would remain secure & would still have a toolbox I could easily access @
The rear of the bed.

Im torn - almost feel like pushing the dealer after the fact see if they’d let me swap out to a roll-up design w/ the much smaller clamping mechanism- or if that’s not doable just selling the tonneau for whatever I can & putting that $$$ toward a different one that’ll work w/ this same swingcase toolbox

any suggestions would be appreciate either for an alternative toolbox that would mount/be accessible in a similar location - I’ve even contemplated seeing if I could just saw off part of the pull down handle to provide clearance for the toolbox lol! That’s how much I prefer/like the swingcase style toolbox & dislike this tonneau design, would need to make very sure that would provide the clearance needed & I’d still have enough leverage w/ the handle to pull it down, I could see having to rig up something like a “T” formation @ base of handle to get this to work if possible.

0BD43DB4-044B-4D89-B102-5218DC112BD5.jpeg

A927F03E-936B-4BDD-B04B-F6C48E1812F2.jpeg

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That handle is really stupid. I guess it’s a little more secure than the cable on my bakflip but still..

04Ram2500Hemi

It's Just a Username
Reaction score
I've got a Swing Out Case and a Truxedo Low Profile Roll Up Cover and they work together very well. The handle on your cover is just ridiculous!