Ongoing IWE issues. Just deal with it forever?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Also, how does a sunroof "fail"?

I can take this one !

If you don’t use the moon roof for a period of time, which I presume varies by climate, etc. and the glass sticks to the rubber trim/gasket, the next time you open the moon roof rearward, the very fragile track can break, leaving pieces in the track - I want to say tunnel, but I know that’s not the correct descriptor. Anyway, those fragments can cause the moon roof to stick in either the open or, if you’re lucky, the closed position.

This isn’t unique to Raptors, all F150’s share this design and all can suffer this ~$1500-$1900 failure. You can purchase the parts and do yourself for significantly less, sure.

Others on here more moonroof savvy than I, have suggested workaround for this sticking condition- pop it to vent first, before actuating the moon roof rearward, and regularly lubricating the glass to rubber contact, as well as the track mechanism with the rather pricey but effective Krytox grease.

I had routine service done recently and the dealer was happy to perform this service gratis. I’ve had a few moon roof vehicles, 1 manual, 2 power. Both power moon roof vehicles had failures, including the Raptor. My wife has had 2 or 3 and never had an issue. I try to open the moon roof regularly now to not get the sticking problem, but the internet is full of these tales of woe with the F150 twin panel moonroof.

DrJacks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can take this one !

If you don’t use the moon roof for a period of time, which I presume varies by climate, etc. and the glass sticks to the rubber trim/gasket, the next time you open the moon roof rearward, the very fragile track can break, leaving pieces in the track - I want to say tunnel, but I know that’s not the correct descriptor. Anyway, those fragments can cause the moon roof to stick in either the open or, if you’re lucky, the closed position.

This isn’t unique to Raptors, all F150’s share this design and all can suffer this ~$1500-$1900 failure. You can purchase the parts and do yourself for significantly less, sure.

Others on here more moonroof savvy than I, have suggested workaround for this sticking condition- pop it to vent first, before actuating the moon roof rearward, and regularly lubricating the glass to rubber contact, as well as the track mechanism with the rather pricey but effective Krytox grease.

I had routine service done recently and the dealer was happy to perform this service gratis. I’ve had a few moon roof vehicles, 1 manual, 2 power. Both power moon roof vehicles had failures, including the Raptor. My wife has had 2 or 3 and never had an issue. I try to open the moon roof regularly now to not get the sticking problem, but the internet is full of these tales of woe with the F150 twin panel moonroof.

And this is why the Raptor I just ordered does not have a moonroof. Not that this is scientific or anything, but if you type “F150 sunroof” into google and let it auto complete, the suggestions are:
Stuck
Repair
For sale
TSB
Issues
Lube
Reviews
Rattle
Won’t open