GEN 2 OIL FILTER RELOCATION

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you might, but you aren't.

The timing setup and the oiling design are the two major flaws with the ecoboost.

There are upgrades available for both, but they aren't exactly inexpensive.

If y'all hate where the filter is, you can spend about 6K and upgrade to a dry-sump system. ( yes, they can be had for an ecoboost)

What exactly is wrong with the cooling and oiling systems?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
What exactly is wrong with the cooling and oiling systems?
timing- phasers, guides, chains - all are limiting factors for the motor. it isn't uncommon for these motors to jump timing.

oiling- variable pressure leads to poor oiling in many scenarios, poor pan design ( sloshing/starvation)

I will also say that the factory in-tank fuel pump isn't the awesomest. it really can't keep up with fueling beyond about 650-700hp.

Mister Pinky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
timing- phasers, guides, chains - all are limiting factors for the motor. it isn't uncommon for these motors to jump timing.

oiling- variable pressure leads to poor oiling in many scenarios, poor pan design ( sloshing/starvation)

I will also say that the factory in-tank fuel pump isn't the awesomest. it really can't keep up with fueling beyond about 650-700hp.

Honestly, I haven’t seen a DOHC V6 yet that doesn’t have some sort of timing problem. Seems like every manufacturer now has timing set problems.

I also assumed the VDOP was going to be an issue. Is Ford’s design mechanically or electronically controlled?

zombiekiller

OG BooBooRunner
Reaction score
Honestly, I haven’t seen a DOHC V6 yet that doesn’t have some sort of timing problem. Seems like every manufacturer now has timing set problems.

I also assumed the VDOP was going to be an issue. Is Ford’s design mechanically or electronically controlled?
electronic. I wish that I could figure out the logic around the computer manipulating the oil pressure. We'll see how I fare with my new motor, which is going in the last week of June. for reference, fueling issues will also make these motors run like they jumped timing. I've already had to replace half of my injectors and the fuel rails due to Mexican gas clogging em up.

The Ford GT timing components are actually really good. A few different motor builders have started to come up with their own "sauce" to smooth these engines out and make the timing more predictable.

as for oiling, I may end up going to dry sump, but it won't be immediate. I'm switching to a fuel cell and need to sort the in-tank pump and return system first.