No Washer Fluid Sending Unit?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdowens1

Ford Senior Master Technician
Reaction score
Do you happen to know what range the dummy gauges scan from? like oil PSI 0-100 and is it linear? Also what about the tranny temp gauge. The 2010's you can't actually see the temp just the gauge with no numbers. Thanks

Oil pressure gauge will drop out below 7psi oil pressure. The trans will show hot around 268 degrees I believe a transmission overtemp code will set at 275 degrees and go into limp mode. diesel shows overtemp at 258 degrees on oil temperature. The 268 on trans temp I think is about where is starts to show overheating but not 100% positive. Optimal trans temp is 175degrees. every 10 degrees over that they claim shortens the trans fluid life in half. The 6R80 trans is susposed to be filled for life and never need flushing according to Ford. Pulling my 4000lb boat over a pass I've seen my trans temp get to 230 degrees and that made me nervous. I'm still researching with the synthetic trans temp is different then older conventional. If I ever figure out the answer I'll be sure to post it.

Last edited:

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Oil pressure gauge will drop out below 7psi oil pressure. The trans will show hot around 268 degrees I believe a transmission overtemp code will set at 275 degrees and go into limp mode. diesel shows overtemp at 258 degrees on oil temperature. The 268 on trans temp I think is about where is starts to show overheating but not 100% positive. Optimal trans temp is 175degrees. every 10 degrees over that they claim shortens the trans fluid life in half. The 6R80 trans is susposed to be filled for life and never need flushing according to Ford. Pulling my 4000lb boat over a pass I've seen my trans temp get to 230 degrees and that made me nervous. I'm still researching with the synthetic trans temp is different then older conventional. If I ever figure out the answer I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the info! Hi tranny temp scares the crap out of me with no way to check the level.... or smell the fluid and look at it. If you find info on the tranny oil life and temps of failure if there are any i would love to know. Lot of these new rides are going to fully seal/lifetime oil in them. Its great for the first 100k but what about after that?

jdowens1

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! Hi tranny temp scares the crap out of me with no way to check the level.... or smell the fluid and look at it. If you find info on the tranny oil life and temps of failure if there are any i would love to know. Lot of these new rides are going to fully seal/lifetime oil in them. Its great for the first 100k but what about after that?

I think the ford manual says to change trans fluid on these after 150k. yet they say they are sealed for life. The trans does have a dipstick if you crawl under with 7/8 wrench I think unscrew it and then there is a small ***** for dipstick about 3 inches to check your level.

I think the 6R80 trans is pretty good so far I just went through one where the person ran it out of trans fluid and got trans so hot that the torque converter is now blue. Other then a couple of overheated hardparts I found nothing else wrong and when filled with fluid it ran great.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the ford manual says to change trans fluid on these after 150k. yet they say they are sealed for life. The trans does have a dipstick if you crawl under with 7/8 wrench I think unscrew it and then there is a small ***** for dipstick about 3 inches to check your level.

I think the 6R80 trans is pretty good so far I just went through one where the person ran it out of trans fluid and got trans so hot that the torque converter is now blue. Other then a couple of overheated hardparts I found nothing else wrong and when filled with fluid it ran great.

Sweet! 3'' that is. Do you know if its one of those parts they can tell if its been opened or not?

jdowens1

Reaction score
Sweet! 3'' that is. Do you know if its one of those parts they can tell if its been opened or not?

no technically the quick lube people should be checking your trans fluid for you but its not technically a sealed unit where you break the seal you void the warranty. I think they put it there so it wouldn't get messed with. The only pain in the ass part is trying to get fluid into it.

ISFast

FRF Addict
Reaction score
no technically the quick lube people should be checking your trans fluid for you but its not technically a sealed unit where you break the seal you void the warranty. I think they put it there so it wouldn't get messed with. The only pain in the ass part is trying to get fluid into it.

Makes since! Out of sight out of mind for most people. I'll take a look in the morning.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Mrs. (VW v10 TDI Touareg) has a washer fluid low warning light and associated beep. It's so annoying that one of these days it's going to have an accident with a pair of side cutters.

Ditto, my '94 Stealth R/T had a low washer fluid light, and it annoyed the **** out of me, especially when it was right at that point that it would slosh and be okay or slosh and be low. All the time a flickering light. I'd sit there and just drain the fluid out squirting the windshield for 30-45 seconds just to get the light to stay on solid rather than be in the "blink" range every time I stopped, accelerated, or turned. If I had the car longer I would have ripped the dash apart and took the damn bulb out.

Good to hear the raptor doesn't have one. What's next people griping that you actually have to check the dipstick to see the oil level, and it's not like a BMW or something where there's no dipstick, the computer just tells you if it's low? :supergay: