No Raptor This Year?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

Deleted member 17706

Is 700 hp even usable offroad? Or in any pickup truck not locked into 4wd? I could see a bump over the current Gen 2, but not so much it makes the truck undrivable.

Yea, Trophy trucks have a really hard time running the Baja 1000 with such power...

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, Trophy trucks have a really hard time running the Baja 1000 with such power...

Trophy trucks cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and have a much more advanced suspension and professional drivers. I guess I should restate my question, is a 700 hp Gen 1 Raptor on stock suspension usable offroad by the average guy? Can all that power actually be put down or would it make the truck difficult to control?

My limited experience in this area would be brushless RC trucks, where I have to pull power out of it to make it controllable on dirt. Full power is great for doing donuts, but forget trying to get around a specific course.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Trophy trucks cost hundreds of thousands of dollars and have a much more advanced suspension and professional drivers. I guess I should restate my question, is a 700 hp Gen 1 Raptor on stock suspension usable offroad by the average guy? Can all that power actually be put down or would it make the truck difficult to control?

My limited experience in this area would be brushless RC trucks, where I have to pull power out of it to make it controllable on dirt. Full power is great for doing donuts, but forget trying to get around a specific course.

It’s a non-issue. Gen 1s push 600-800 HP no problem depending on the engine rebuild and SC. I know you were asking an honest question, but I have seen people on this forum say the same thing for years. It’s not a hindrance whatsoever. You just need traction bars and upgraded leaf springs.

jeanco

2019 scab=gone,24 AMB 801A
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If Ford releases a 2021 Raptor, then they must have another powertrain in the works to come after the TRX is released. No way they are going to release something new now and let Ram have the last say. The new generation F150 will be around for another five years (give or take). That is a long time to leave the Raptor unchanged after the Gen 2 went through very small changes over its production cycle.

I also think it is a little much for them to release the new F150, Bronco, and Raptor all within a year. But maybe because of COVID-19, they are putting all their chips on the table. We shall see.

Agree,Ranger Raptor coming too!
https://www.caranddriver.com/ford/ranger-raptor
Can Ford built a 2020 Raptor in a 2021 Ford F150 production line?

Last edited:

K223

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Is 700 hp even usable offroad? Or in any pickup truck not locked into 4wd? I could see a bump over the current Gen 2, but not so much it makes the truck undrivable.

I was thinking that as well. Trucks have horrible 2WD traction now, period. 700HP you will not be able to lay to the ground in 2WD period, on any surface. 4A to some degree better. Traction control will have to tame it big time. It could be useful on an off-road run and keeping you up to speed in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

Rednose

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I do not agree and it all depends on the driver.

Yes a truck with 700 hp is hard to control, but you get used to it after a month of driving.
In my book the extra power is always welcomed,but the hassle of keeping the truck reliable in that power band was a hassle,not talking about a Raptor though! that was a generic statement including all the cars I have upgraded and drove.

D

Deleted member 17706

I was thinking that as well. Trucks have horrible 2WD traction now, period. 700HP you will not be able to lay to the ground in 2WD period, on any surface. 4A to some degree better. Traction control will have to tame it big time. It could be useful on an off-road run and keeping you up to speed in 2 or 4 wheel drive.

You can lay that power to the ground just fine in a Raptor. Some off-road trucks go with big power and make their trucks 2WD as you really no longer need 4WD and can just power through whatever situation.

If Ford comes out with a Ranger Raptor, then that will be dope. I would love to have something smaller to get into tight trails. It would give the Taco Trd Pro a run for its money as its V6 sucks!

jabroni619

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My guess is Ford will take the same approach they did with the Mustang GT500 vs. the Hellcat/Demon. While the GT500 may not match the Dodge equivalents by the numbers, it is a better all around car for many things. That makes it interesting to think what they'll do. If the TRX does have 700hp they'll need to boost things quite a bit. Taking the Ecoboost to 660hp or more, like the Ford GT, is probably a stretch. Therefore, they'll need to massage one of the V8s to get 725hp. I got a good laugh when they upped the 6.7L to 1,050 lb.ft.tq. to keep the competition at bay. I actually like the idea of independent suspension (according to the rumors) but I do wonder if that will impact towing capacity. I tow and enjoy the various destinations with a camper trailer while disconnecting for the trails.

I don’t think you’ll be seeing I dependent suspension for quite some time. Coil springs yes, independent would take a major overhaul and complete re-engineering to achieve while still being able to maintain articulation.