No power to my towing plugs - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I need to tow a trailer and plugging in the 7-pin connector to my plug in the hitch and I got nothing. Checked with a voltmeter and it shows no power to the 7-pin or the 4-pin next to it.
Any ideas?!

The trailer lights work as we checked with my buddy's truck.

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I need to tow a trailer and plugging in the 7-pin connector to my plug in the hitch and I got nothing. Checked with a voltmeter and it shows no power to the 7-pin or the 4-pin next to it.
Any ideas?!

The trailer lights work as we checked with my buddy's truck.

When you got the truck there should have been a little bag in the door or glovebox that has the fuse and resistor for your towing electrical connection. Pop them in the fuse box under the hood on top of the radiator. I think slot 6 and 29 IIRC.

Part marked with the part number AL3T-15A416-AA. It's actually slot 9 and 21 I just double checked. Then you'll be good to go.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Gen1Rap

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you got the truck there should have been a little bag in the door or glovebox that has the fuse and resistor for your towing electrical connection. Pop them in the fuse box under the hood on top of the radiator. I think slot 6 and 29 IIRC.

Part marked with the part number AL3T-15A416-AA. It's actually slot 9 and 21 I just double checked. Then you'll be good to go.

I did that, but still no go. I need to double check that I put them in the right slots when I get home.

DynoDynge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The relay & fuse were left out of mine too.
I just picked them up @ the local parts store & problem solved

OP
OP
Gen1Rap

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had the relay and fuse in, but it still didn't work.

I followed the wiring from the back of my plug next to the hitch and followed it up under the bed, above the spare tire. There I found it unplugged from the harness that goes to the front of the truck.
The female half of the plug was full of dirt that came out (all over my face) when I looked at it. Plugged it in, but the plugs wouldn't snap together.
checked again and still not working. I'm guessing that the plugs that were unplugged for a year got full of dirt and water and just aren't making a good connection.
Unless someone has a great idea, I'm gonna take it into the dealer for warranty. Just hate doing that, because they take forever and it's mostly a hack job. :sad72:

NickPic83

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Try blowing out the plugs with compressed air. Then spray them down with electrical contact cleaner. After that dries use some dielectric grease on them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
Gen1Rap

Gen1Rap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Try blowing out the plugs with compressed air. Then spray them down with electrical contact cleaner. After that dries use some dielectric grease on them

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Good idea, I'll try it. Thanks!

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I had the relay and fuse in, but it still didn't work.

I followed the wiring from the back of my plug next to the hitch and followed it up under the bed, above the spare tire. There I found it unplugged from the harness that goes to the front of the truck.
The female half of the plug was full of dirt that came out (all over my face) when I looked at it. Plugged it in, but the plugs wouldn't snap together.
checked again and still not working. I'm guessing that the plugs that were unplugged for a year got full of dirt and water and just aren't making a good connection.
Unless someone has a great idea, I'm gonna take it into the dealer for warranty. Just hate doing that, because they take forever and it's mostly a hack job. :sad72:

That sucks man. Sorry to hear it.