NEGOTATE A PRICE LOWER THAN THE MSRP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Dealer hold bac
It's called "front end" and "back end" incentives in the dealer world. They make money on you from the actual sale of the truck ("gross"), but not a lot. This is especially the case with new car sales. The manufacturer doesn't pay squat on incentives and the "Invoice" vs "MSRP" (front-end Gross) is terrible. The real money for the dealer and the salesperson is on the BACK-END. That includes finance fees, doc fees, and other F&I products. That 'new car prep' fee with ceramic coat or PPF and interior sealant? Yeah, BIG $$$$ profit. But the biggest money comes from the finance desk in the form of bank incentives and kick-backs. The dealership, F&I guy, and salesman all get a piece of this. So if you come in waiving a bunch of cash around.... well.... they are going to not want to deal on the price of the truck. Nothing in it for them (maybe $350 to split between all parties?).
i bought a GMC Denali from a good friend. He showed me the invoice and his price, 8900 and change lower than MSRP. He then said there was another 3% dealer hold back. He said, high volume dealers get all sorts of extra incentives from manufactures for high volume. On a Raptor, I bet the make 12-15k at MSRP.

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dealer hold bac

i bought a GMC Denali from a good friend. He showed me the invoice and his price, 8900 and change lower than MSRP. He then said there was another 3% dealer hold back. He said, high volume dealers get all sorts of extra incentives from manufactures for high volume. On a Raptor, I bet the make 12-15k at MSRP.
I'm sure all of those numbers were true. How they affect the dealer (the House), finance guy (F&I), the Sales Manager (the Tower), and salesman (workin stiff) is the real story. That's what I was trying to explain.

The holdback is baked into the invoice price from the manufacturer and then paid back to the dealer (usually quarterly), for instance. Sometimes the House uses this incentive to pad the employees pockets in different ways... but it's usually just to offset the interest cost of the dealer Floor Plan (the line of credit the dealer has from the back to stock the lot). The other $8900 doesn't go far when you are keeping the lights on. :) Usually, like I said, the crumbs left to the salespeople are 300-400 bucks after everyone else gets their hands outta the cookie jar. And the sales floor is the place that decides if they work with the customer on pricing, or not.

Last edited:

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
A real rip off is real estate commission. 6% is total bs for most sales.
You would think. I'm not an agent, but have seen what not having a good agent can lead to.

Most people are not savvy to making the best real estate deal, kind of like the folks that get bashed here for paying ADM's.

Naturally, this does not apply to us. lol

XSTNKT

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A real rip off is real estate commission. 6% is total bs for most sales.
Buyer AND seller agent at 12% is pretty killer for the agent. hehe

There is a ton of stuff that can be missed in a real estate deal. Having bought and sold dozens of properties, I still use an agent. It's just hard to have eyes on all of the process by yourself. That said, the people that got into real estate after about 2015 have no idea what it really takes to "be a Realtor". All they've had to do is shuffle paperwork and receive signed contracts. Just order-takers... like working at McDonalds. lol

2008-2010 seperated the men from the boys in real estate. ;)

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Buyer AND seller agent at 12% is pretty killer for the agent. hehe

There is a ton of stuff that can be missed in a real estate deal. Having bought and sold dozens of properties, I still use an agent. It's just hard to have eyes on all of the process by yourself. That said, the people that got into real estate after about 2015 have no idea what it really takes to "be a Realtor". All they've had to do is shuffle paperwork and receive signed contracts. Just order-takers... like working at McDonalds. lol

2008-2010 seperated the men from the boys in real estate. ;)
Yes, they train for 50ish hours, take a test and you can sell. Around here, the average house is around 700k making their cut 42k. I know they have to split it but, ridiculous IMO

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah its absolutely ridiculous. I understand in some circumstances, but a million dollar house doesn't take 10 times the work of a 100K dollar house at least in my area. Its all the same paper work, sure the million dollar house might take longer to sell with more open houses and marketing etc...but its not 10 times the work.