Need some interior light help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have two 12" LED strips I'd like to install under both footwells up front and I'd like to tap into the dome light wire. Has anyone done this or could point me in the right direction? Really appreciate any help! I'd like them to dim with the dome if possible.

The Car Stereo Company

aka grumpy car stereo guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have two 12" LED strips I'd like to install under both footwells up front and I'd like to tap into the dome light wire. Has anyone done this or could point me in the right direction? Really appreciate any help! I'd like them to dim with the dome if possible.

dome supervision for a 2010 ford f150 is grey/purple at the passenger kick or at the sjb grey 14 pin plug pin 9

dome supervision for 2011-2012 ford f150 is grey/purple at the bcm grey 12 pin plug pin 1also can be found purple wire (puddle lamp) grey 26 pin plug pin 1

left front door trigger is green/purple
right front door trigger is white
left rear door is green
right rear door is yellow. all are located in passenger kick at the bcm grey 26 pin plug these are also the colors and location for the 2010 f150 as well

i recommend going to the puddle lamps or door trigger because the led strips you have are not going to be dimmable and you must use relays to make it work. also you need to make sure the led strips have built in resistors

OP
OP
Kowboy17

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the info. Very detailed, but I must admit with all that I'm now thinking of duct taping two flashlights under the dash!
So to make it simple (on and off), I should stick to tapping into the trigger wires on both front doors?

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow! Thanks for the info. Very detailed, but I must admit with all that I'm now thinking of duct taping two flashlights under the dash!
So to make it simple (on and off), I should stick to tapping into the trigger wires on both front doors?
you only really need one trigger for the lighting system. usually when the door is opened it turns on all the lights. your led strips, do they have resistors already? i am hoping that since they are in a strip they will have them. can you upload a picture of the lights? if i can see them i will have a better idea as to how to wire them

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is what an automotive relay looks like. you will need one of these to wire your leds into your factory lighting

Attachments

• IMG_0142.jpg
    IMG_0142.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0141.jpg
    IMG_0141.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 89
OP
OP
Kowboy17

Kowboy17

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Would it just be easier to tap into the trigger wires. But I think I get your point that if I want to use the dome ill need a resistor .....correct?

---------- Post added at 12:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:24 AM ----------

Sorry, relay is what I meant .

The Car Stereo Company

Supporting Member
Reaction score
the resistor is only if the leds dont have them. if you were able connect the leds directly to 12v and they worked, then you dont need a resistor. if you hook them up and they smoke and burn out then you needed a resistor. the best way to check is to look for tiny black microchips by the leds. or if the power wire has a cigar lighter they you are set and dont need one
unfortunately the amount of current going through the dome or door trigger wire is not enough. there is enough current to power a relay but not enough for the lights. so basically the relay is being used to strengthen the current.
there are a couple of ways to wiring this but since your door triggers are negative trigger the are fairly similar

look at the third picture i posted

the leg on the left of the relay goes to the door trigger/puddle light
the leg on the right and the leg on the top goes to constant power (with 5amp fuse)
the leg on the bottom goes to power on the lights
ground the negative of the lights. and test

or......

the leg on the left goes to the door trigger/puddle lamps
the leg on the right goes to constant power (fused)
the leg on top goes ground
the leg on bottom goes to led lights
connect the positive from the lights to constant power.(can use the same fuse as above) test