Need help with tie rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
For stubborn ball joint pins, tie rod pins, king pins, I've always used a air hammer with a tappered punch bit. Hammer the pin end. It's never not worked for me, but you do need a ballsy air hammer.

I'm not a mechanic, I'm just a schmoe that like to work on things in his garage (and sometimes **** it up entirely) but I've never made a better decision than when I bought an air compressor and air tools.

OP
OP
TXRPTOR37

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started with a normal size hammer and moved up to 25#. I have an air compressor and impact gun but no air hammer. I will probably go ahead and buy one.

I'm still wondering if there is any negative to leaving the tie rod connected as some have mentioned that they have. Thoughts/opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I helped a buddy do his last week, we didn't remove anything, all went well.

Mil T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sometimes if you hammer on just the small raised piece of metal in the casting of the pin mount hole area it will not release. If you hammer just on the sides away from the raised piece of casting it will come loose. This has happened to me. Hammer Hammer Hammer on the raised casting without luck. Then one slight hit on the side of the knuckle an WOLLA, it breaks loose.

Road Kill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had the same issue with mine a week ago, pry bar was to small... I used a rubber mallet so not to damage the bolt end and beat it out. There is also an adjustable puller that will push it out, works pretty well too. It's $30 at Autozone right next to the pry bar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dv8tor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
What about heating up the knuckle with a torch? If i were having as much trouble as your having, I'd probably just go to the dealer and buy another outer tie rod end and then go back home and continue the bashing cuz sooner or later, I'd **** that tie rod up. I don't loose battles with mechanical work, I win or just get even and **** it up, but I still win.

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would just leave it connected and do the perch adjustment, work smarter not harder.

OP
OP
TXRPTOR37

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright guys. After reading your replies and other threads I decided to go ahead and do it without disconnecting the tie rod. Took a little longer than I wanted but got it done this evening. Took it for a spin and everything feels more secure and tight - in a good way. Nose dive during braking is gone and feels much bigger behind the wheel. Loved the stock feel but mid perch is better. Hard to describe so I'd just recommend to anyone in doubt to go ahead and do it. A few pics below to show that leaving the tie rod connected does not cause any issues (from what I can tell). Plan on getting an alignment in the morning. I'll post a few pics tomorrow.

Thanks to RPG for their video and all their help through the forum and all other members on ford raptor forum for your help and input.

edepyzu2.jpguga2uvu2.jpgnysyvy9y.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk