Need help with tie rod

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm currently trying to do mid perch in my driveway but I'm having trouble removing the drivers side tie rod end. I've taken the nut off and beat the life out of the knuckle but it hasn't moved. I've tried jacking up the lower control arm as well and wd40. Any suggestions without further destroying the tie rod end of the knuckle?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Keep the nut on the tie rod (so you don't mess up the threads), put a small piece of wood between your jack and the nut. Raise the jack slightly (put some tension on the tie rod end) not much, but some. Then whack the knuckle with a hammer. Viola, that should do it.

OP
OP
TXRPTOR37

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation. I tried this a number of times after reading your post and didn't have any luck.......

Went to autozone to get a tie rod puller and it's too small for the raptor.

yha4u7e7.jpg

I'm reluctant to continue beating the hell out of the knuckle so truck may be staying stock for now......

Towerhog

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry it didn't work for ya. Hopefully you'll get the tool you need to get it freed. Maybe get some PB Blaster, squirt some on and let it sit over night. Can't hurt to try it another day.

RPG COREY

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Hey hey,

It may help to watch the RPG tie rod video.

Using this method, I have not had one that didn't loosen up.

I hope that this helps.

OP
OP
TXRPTOR37

TXRPTOR37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Corey, I watched y'all's mid perch and tie rod video many times. Still no luck unfortunately. Truck is back together but still planning on giving it another try on Monday. At this point the concern I have is damaging the knuckle from too many hits with the hammer given what I've already done to it. I've never had this much trouble getting a tie rod end out of the knuckle. Truck only has 7500 miles too.

Does the tie rod have to be disconnected for this mod?

mkelly984

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you need to remove the tie rod from the knuckle? I've done a few perch adjustments in my driveway and haven't had to remove anything.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For stubborn ball joint pins, tie rod pins, king pins, I've always used a air hammer with a tappered punch bit. Hammer the pin end. It's never not worked for me, but you do need a ballsy air hammer.