my bbk 85mm review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badraptor

Reaction score
Well i got tired of waiting so i took the plunge .

first off my truck is a stock 2014 w/2600 miles. only mods are a s&b drop in and snorkel mod.

the good:

1. the idle seems to have smoothed out, don't know why but it has.
2. exhaust seems to be a bit deeper.
3. noticeable seat of the pants feel in the mid-range upper power band.
4. truck seems lighter accelerating while driving on the highway
5. throttle response is better
6. my truck always seemed to be sluggish going uphill in 2nd gear, now it feels like it has power.... not alot just enough to not complain anymore

the bad:

1. idle seems to want to stay at 500-600 rpm. when it does this the exhaust note sounds horrible.
2. when it idles at 500 and you press the accelerator , it gives a shock to the driveline because the rpms will jump .

after a 200 mile trip things seemed to smooth out. i called bbk because the problems were still there just not as bad. the recommended to disconnect the battery to reset the computer..... bad idea. it reverted back to how it was.
they told me if it didnt work it might need to be recalibrated & that i can sent it back for a new one.

so i'll let you guys know monday what happens

OP
OP
B

Badraptor

Reaction score
just the throttle body..... i really was not expecting such an increase in power, now if the idle problem can be fixed it will be a worthwhile mod for n/a guys.

raptor1001

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Can you post pics of the snorkel? I've never seen a raptor with a snorkel!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just throwing on a bigger TB is really not going to give anymore power without a dyno Tune.
The engine is a pump and stock Tune is only going ask for air the stock Tune was written for and won't tell the injectors to shot more gas.
Your throttle response came from swapping out the stock paper filter.
SVC did a whole bench flow test with CAIs and a drop in filter replacement was the best.
Even SC Raptors don't really benefit going to larger TB than what comes stock with the kits unless you build the engine to draw more air. Some have claim they got and increase and maybe they did get a little with a dyno tune, but not just a TB upgrade either.

Last edited:

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Just throwing on a bigger TB is really not going to give anymore power without a dyno Tune.
The engine is a pump and stock Tune is only going ask for air the stock Tune was written for and won't tell the injectors to shot more gas.
Your throttle response came from swapping out the stock paper filter.
SVC did a whole bench flow test with CAIs and a drop in filter replacement was the best.
Even SC Raptors don't really benefit going to larger TB than what comes stock with the kits unless you build the engine to draw more air. Some have claim they got and increase and maybe they did get a little with a dyno tune, but not just a TB upgrade either.

Definitely agree with @MTF you got to get your truck tuned to truly take advantage of any gains achieved. Do I think the larger TB really was worth buying? Not without extensive head work. But to each they're own.

But get it tuned! You'll be much happier!

OP
OP
B

Badraptor

Reaction score
no, I've had the filter on for about 1000 miles.
off the line throttle response i cant comment on because of the low idle, because when you tip into the throttle you get a slight surge that gives the illusion of the truck jumping forward. but there is a crispness that wasnt there in city/ highway driving. and there definitely more power mid/top range.
my biggest gripe when buying the truck was how heavy it felt on the highway, meaning that passing was a scary task for me because of lack of power (my last car was a modded gtr so i was used to instant acceleration) but now the truck feels more able to accelerate up to speed.

again, you cannot compare this to a 100 horsepower mod, but there is a noticeable difference in highway driving.

---------- Post added at 12:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:56 PM ----------

svc tune is coming next week

---------- Post added at 01:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:57 PM ----------

& the snorkel comes with the s&b filter. it replaces the factory inlet to the air box with a much bigger smoother opening, hope i didnt confuse anybody.

cpost6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes some big gains to really notice on a truck. If you gained 10 HP on a mod you would never notice it on a 6000 lb truck. Wouldn't even notice 10 HP on a 3500 lb car. Ive been running high performance 5.0 and GT500 mustangs for years and I can tell you that for a fact. I dyno tune motorcycles for a living. You will however feel a 10 HP gain on a motorcycle! A good dyno tune is what it takes to realize the true gains of mods as said above.

Last edited:

HAYNES OFFROAD

aka Wreckless
Reaction score
Takes some big gains to really notice on a truck. If you gained 10 HP on a mod you would never notice it on a 6000 lb truck. Wouldn't even notice 10 HP on a 3500 lb car. Ive been running high performance 5.0 and GT500 mustangs for years and I can tell you that for a fact. I dyno tune motorcycles for a living. You will however feel a 10 HP gain on a motorcycle! A good dyno tune is what it takes to realize the true gains of mods as said above.

I agree that an extra 10hp ain't gonna be felt on our heavy beasts, but you can feel the differance on delivery of power. Where the stock tune lacks. The hp increases on tunes like SVC's isn't what is felt, what is felt is the way it delivers that power throughout the rpms and throttle feel. (I am not saying that the tune does not increase hp)

For instance, in v2.0 of the svc tune, the off throttle response is very sensitive, or twitchy as @ZBoater called it, but makes the truck feel like it just wants to go. Yes there's extra power, but that's not what is making people's buto dyno happy, it's the "feel" of the tunes coupled with some extra hp.