More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sitdown

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
After almost two weeks with the MPT tunes on another truck, I will admit I like it more than my 5star (93PRX vs 93Perf). We've done 3 revisions to the 93PRX tune, and while we were content with V1, I appreciate Mike taking the time to get it dialed in appropriately.

Overall I see and agree with other people's take that this tunes trans tuning is much smoother. Do also feel there is more power across the board, despite my early observations. We are in the minority liking the longer hold of gearing in sport mode stock, and even more so with 5star sport mode. I found it nice when ripping around a closed course or in tight trails staying in rpm, so hope that those traits still exist when put under similar circumstances.

As for breaking up/detonation/stumble reports... Early on, in adapting each of our revisions, we did experience a good stumble on one of the first WOT hits. Almost as if it hit rev limiter, but in lower rpm. I attributed it to adapting process, and didn't consider it a big issue, as it never persisted beyond then (per flash, that is). Figure some other ppl may experience this, and it may help them manage worries their not alone.

I noted the logging previously, and still think its worth mentioning. While anyone can tweak/customize PIDs to track more data, it's nice that it comes configured to monitor so many fields, and in more fine time detail, as i do think its useful. I.e... A datalog of a WOT pull in the MPT config produced 300 lines of data in excel, where as the 5star log config generated say 30 lines in a similar time range.

ASD1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. So they offered when you talked to them. I was thinking they might have like a section on their website where you could log in and get the newest one if you were a customer.

Has anyone heard how they are doing after the storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They recently posted something on Facebook shop is fine no power or Internet at the moment but everybody's OK and the shop is OK

25ktrading

Reaction score
Does anybody know what changed with their tune update? How does the new tune behave differently than the previous one?

My v3 tune came up invalid file when i tried to flash it. I will try again when they send a new one.

I did completely empty my old tank of gas. filled up with 93 from another much busier gas station. Re flashed v2 93prX and its still detonating.

for those of you that haven't had modified cars that are picky with octane. its a unique pinging/ ticking type noise you'll hear under full load, usually close to redline. Unmistakable, my brother also has a 2017 raptor with the same tune. hes having the same issues. if you hear this don't beat on it.

Maybe their 93 tune is too aggressive since even with octane boost it still knocks.

also for me the trans tuning is too aggressive. I have asked for stock trans with stock throttle response- will also update when I get that. For me stock sport mode with added power is as aggressive as I'd ever need it. I prefer it to skip gears and be quiet when i'm not playing around.

NJSP117

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Other than the noticeable difference in the tune and the shifting, my tune from 5 star disabled the auto stop feature, while the tune from MPT kept it on...I'm assuming thats by design? Has anyone else that had both tunes noticed that? I guess I can contact MPT and have them disable it, but turning it off manually really doesn't bother me all that much.

25ktrading

Reaction score
Other than the noticeable difference in the tune and the shifting, my tune from 5 star disabled the auto stop feature, while the tune from MPT kept it on...I'm assuming thats by design? Has anyone else that had both tunes noticed that? I guess I can contact MPT and have them disable it, but turning it off manually really doesn't bother me all that much.

I had mine disabled from both companies. have to ask.

ASD1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

When you order their tune you need to tell them if you want the speed limiter disabled

You also need to let them know if you want the auto Stop disabled

It is listed in the information when you ordered the tune to put comments like that in the comment section

OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did you send them your data log?

I haven't had any detonation issues at any RPM or load.

My data log looked completely benign.

What elevation and temp are you at?
I'm around 70-80 degrees sea level.

My v3 tune came up invalid file when i tried to flash it. I will try again when they send a new one.

I did completely empty my old tank of gas. filled up with 93 from another much busier gas station. Re flashed v2 93prX and its still detonating.

for those of you that haven't had modified cars that are picky with octane. its a unique pinging/ ticking type noise you'll hear under full load, usually close to redline. Unmistakable, my brother also has a 2017 raptor with the same tune. hes having the same issues. if you hear this don't beat on it.

Maybe their 93 tune is too aggressive since even with octane boost it still knocks.

also for me the trans tuning is too aggressive. I have asked for stock trans with stock throttle response- will also update when I get that. For me stock sport mode with added power is as aggressive as I'd ever need it. I prefer it to skip gears and be quiet when i'm not playing around.

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you send them your data log?

I haven't had any detonation issues at any RPM or load.

My data log looked completely benign.

What elevation and temp are you at?

I'm around 70-80 degrees sea level.

When you say no detonation, do you mean no positive knock (upper right box) on the nGuage or no audible "ping"?

My buddy datalogged his tune and we didn't hear detonation but we saw some knock retard of a few degrees on the nGuage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk