More power tuning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really appreciate your write up. I am not necessarily looking for more power, but I certainly won't turn it down. My issue is with the transmission. Between normal and the way it skips gears to the tow mode to sport mode, none of them feel quite right. I wasn't aware that the various tunes changed the transmission shift logic; I thought they just changed performance characteristics. I told my wife I was done with mods, but if there is a good tune out there that uses all ten gears, doesn't do excessive engine breaking, doesn't hold much higher RPM's than needed for everyday driving, etc..., I am a buyer. Somebody just let me know what tune does this!!!!

OK ..... I have now had my MPT tunes for a week now and I am ready to provide honest feedback. As with others that have posted their comments, I also have 100% no ties to anybody at MPT or concerns about speaking my mind, so my feedback is as follows.

1) To start, their customer service is absolutely amazing. I am hesitant to tell anybody what they did for me out of fear that everybody will expect the same and be disappointed if they don't receive it. I paid the extra $35, submitted everything they requested last Wednesday evening, and had my tunes by 4:00 PM the next day (Thursday). I installed and tested the tunes Thursday evening and provided feedback to them at some point on Friday. To my surprise, I received updated tunes from them on Saturday just shy of 4:00 PM. Keep in mind that last weekend was a holiday weekend; it gets even better. I tested those tunes immediately and provided feedback Saturday evening. I received an email from them on Sunday acknowledging my email and then a second round of updates on Monday (Labor Day). I provided some additional feedback Labor Day evening and, once again, got revised tunes on Tuesday (the next day) by the close of business. We are all accustomed to better customer service lately (Amazon can deliver to your house the same day you place an order.), but with that being said, I was still blown away with MPT's responsiveness and unrelenting willingness to try and give me what I wanted. Mike at MPT is amazing at customer service!!!!

2) As for the tune, this is my first experience with a tune so I have nothing else to compare it against, but the performance gains are absolutely amazing. I can't believe how much more responsive the truck is with either the tow tune or the performance (PRX) tune. It is like night and day different compared to the stock truck. What I like most, aside from all the extra HP and torque, is how smooth the power is delivered. The truck idles like it always did, the power is evident from extremely low RPMs all the way through the power curve, there are no power surges, etc... They did a great job!!!!

3) As for the transmission tuning, they also did a great job!!! My initial impression was that the truck should be moving through the middle gears at medium throttle at lower RPMs instead of 2400 or so RPMs, but in hindsight, they are probably doing the work where it makes the most sense given the powerband and the fact that they are selling performance tunes. Very light to light throttle are perfect as is very hard acceleration. Once I came to the realization that they are not programming a Prius (be nice), I am blown away with how much happier I am with their transmission tuning over stock. I was concerned that the shifts might be too firm, but they are perfect and frankly unnoticeable (probably somewhere between normal and sport). While I still feel the RPMs could be lowered a little for the middle gears under medium acceleration, all of the changes they were very willingly trying to make for me just seemed to be throwing something else slightly out of wack, so I am happily accepting what they originally sent out. Only the pickiest of the picky (me) will probably find anything they want to tweak. In that rare situation, you have my testimonial that they will not only do it without any reluctance, they will do it very quickly and without making you feel bad for seeking multiple revisions.

4) Error codes - I have to admit that when I swap from one tune to another I frequently get a series of error codes that pop up before I even start the truck with the new tune loaded. Not sure what is causing that, but if I clear the error codes, they never come back. I am not sure what is unique about my truck which causes that issue, but at least the error codes are not being tripped by the truck in operation.

5) Gas mileage - I believe I am seeing a slight bump in gas mileage, but it is too early to tell. Given the huge jump in power and performance, I am actually really surprised to have any improvement and not a huge loss which I would gladly accept as a tradeoff.

6) Learning curve - Do not judge your tune on the first drive immediately after the install!!!! I have found through abundant testing that it takes probably 30 to 50 miles for your truck to adapt. Many concerns that you might have on your first drive (harder than normal shifts, when/how it shifts gears, etc...), will magically go away, so give her a few miles to adapt.

All said and done, for the money, I don't think you can make a better modification to your truck. It is a totally different animal in all good ways!!!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

Guy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeff

All my tunes always run through a series of "default codes" right after a flash. They don't persist and don't come back.

I'd call it normal.

And... I told you the tune was that good.... you'll be able to forget about the truck shifting now. It feels normal and responsive and intelligent. I'll say it again.... Ford needs to call these guys for their transmission expertise alone.

OK ..... I have now had my MPT tunes for a week now and I am ready to provide honest feedback. As with others that have posted their comments, I also have 100% no ties to anybody at MPT or concerns about speaking my mind, so my feedback is as follows.

1) To start, their customer service is absolutely amazing. I am hesitant to tell anybody what they did for me out of fear that everybody will expect the same and be disappointed if they don't receive it. I paid the extra $35, submitted everything they requested last Wednesday evening, and had my tunes by 4:00 PM the next day (Thursday). I installed and tested the tunes Thursday evening and provided feedback to them at some point on Friday. To my surprise, I received updated tunes from them on Saturday just shy of 4:00 PM. Keep in mind that last weekend was a holiday weekend; it gets even better. I tested those tunes immediately and provided feedback Saturday evening. I received an email from them on Sunday acknowledging my email and then a second round of updates on Monday (Labor Day). I provided some additional feedback Labor Day evening and, once again, got revised tunes on Tuesday (the next day) by the close of business. We are all accustomed to better customer service lately (Amazon can deliver to your house the same day you place an order.), but with that being said, I was still blown away with MPT's responsiveness and unrelenting willingness to try and give me what I wanted. Mike at MPT is amazing at customer service!!!!

2) As for the tune, this is my first experience with a tune so I have nothing else to compare it against, but the performance gains are absolutely amazing. I can't believe how much more responsive the truck is with either the tow tune or the performance (PRX) tune. It is like night and day different compared to the stock truck. What I like most, aside from all the extra HP and torque, is how smooth the power is delivered. The truck idles like it always did, the power is evident from extremely low RPMs all the way through the power curve, there are no power surges, etc... They did a great job!!!!

3) As for the transmission tuning, they also did a great job!!! My initial impression was that the truck should be moving through the middle gears at medium throttle at lower RPMs instead of 2400 or so RPMs, but in hindsight, they are probably doing the work where it makes the most sense given the powerband and the fact that they are selling performance tunes. Very light to light throttle are perfect as is very hard acceleration. Once I came to the realization that they are not programming a Prius (be nice), I am blown away with how much happier I am with their transmission tuning over stock. I was concerned that the shifts might be too firm, but they are perfect and frankly unnoticeable (probably somewhere between normal and sport). While I still feel the RPMs could be lowered a little for the middle gears under medium acceleration, all of the changes they were very willingly trying to make for me just seemed to be throwing something else slightly out of wack, so I am happily accepting what they originally sent out. Only the pickiest of the picky (me) will probably find anything they want to tweak. In that rare situation, you have my testimonial that they will not only do it without any reluctance, but they will also do it very quickly without judgement of making you feel bad about asking for it.

4) Error codes - I have to admit that when I swap from one tune to another I frequently get a series of error codes that pop up before I even start the truck with the new tune loaded. Not sure what is causing that, but if I clear the error codes, they never come back. I am not sure what is unique about my truck which causes that issue, but at least the error codes are not being tripped by the truck in operation.

5) Gas mileage - I believe I am seeing a slight bump in gas mileage, but it is too early to tell. Given the huge jump in power and performance, I am actually really surprised to have any improvement and not a huge loss which I would gladly accept as a tradeoff.

All said and done, for the money, I don't think you can make a better modification to your truck. It is a totally different animal in all good ways!!!!

Msisle

Reaction score
Thanks for these feedbacks.
Mine is on the way, I m just wondering which 3rd tune to choose.
I will take the PRX 93 and tow 93 but no put sure about the other one, maybe tow 91. Transmission tuning sounds like a must no?

Jeff-Ohio

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will take the PRX 93 and tow 93 but no put sure about the other one, maybe tow 91. Transmission tuning sounds like a must no?

I did the PRX 93, the 91 tow, and the one that just has their transmission algorithm with no performance enhancements. If I did it again, I would have substituted their transmission tune with no performance enhancements for a 93 tow. In your situation, I would add a 91 tow or 91 PRX because I have heard that those may run better on a realllly hot day, or you may find yourself in a situation where 93 octane isn't available, etc.... For some strange reason, I will feel safer towing with the 91 tow than the 93 tow, especially on a hot day, but that concern may have no validity.

ASD1

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I got the 91 prx the 91 tow and the trans only tune

I drive were 93 is not available and then got the trans only tune in case I can't get 91

25ktrading

Reaction score
I made the switch from 5 star also. I immediately felt the difference. especially up top.

I am getting some detonation now. thought maybe it was bad gas so i put in some octane boost. That did not help. I have almost ran out the tank. so I can soon fill up with 93 from another place.
They also told me to try flashing the latest 93 tune that came out end of last week.

My take on the tune. I love the power. not a fan of the trans tune. its too aggressive for my daily driving. If we are able to resolve the detonation i will be running the 93 with stock trans.
The trans tune has a tendency to just down one gear too low and many times eds up down shifting to close to the top of a gear.

Last edited:

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I made the switch from 5 star also. I immediately felt the difference. especially up top.

I am getting some detonation now. thought maybe it was bad gas so i put in some octane boost. That did not help. I have almost ran out the tank. so I can soon fill up with 93 from another place.
They also told me to try flashing the latest 93 tune that came out end of last week.

My take on the tune. I love the power. not a fan of the trans tune. its too aggressive for my daily driving. If we are able to resolve the detonation i will be running the 93 with stock trans.
The trans tune has a tendency to just down one gear too low and many times eds up down shifting to close to the top of a gear.

Where do you go to the latest version of the tunes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Homer Jay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they just offered it up. I think updates are free as they refine them?

Oh ok. So they offered when you talked to them. I was thinking they might have like a section on their website where you could log in and get the newest one if you were a customer.

Has anyone heard how they are doing after the storm?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk