Mods vs warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pynenut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I returned it to stock and after getting used to the tune, the truck feels alot more tame, much better on gas though.

But you guys still did not answer the question. Yeah, we know it can and will probably void the warranty. The question is...if the vehicle is returned to the stock ecu and ford flashes the ecu, will this cause any issues if we go to reflash it?

Perauto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I returned it to stock and after getting used to the tune, the truck feels alot more tame, much better on gas though.

But you guys still did not answer the question. Yeah, we know it can and will probably void the warranty. The question is...if the vehicle is returned to the stock ecu and ford flashes the ecu, will this cause any issues if we go to reflash it?

No I have never had a problem with a Re flash back to stock ,if it was one of our Tunes using SCT.

DubbsFaris

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Short answer- unless ECU is swapped out, your tuner doesnt care what tune is currently in the truck. Whatever the tune, it downloads it, flashes ECU with aftermarket, and stores the tune that was on the truck, whatever factory version that may be, and keeps that in its memory for you to take it back to stock should you need to.

Longer answer:
Your SCT tuner is married to your truck's ecu, so if you take it back to stock, and the dealer changes or does an update to your stock tune, it will not affect your ability to reinstall your aftermarket tune. If the ECU is swapped out for a malfunction, that would affect your ability to reflash from your tuner as it would no longer recognize it as the truck it is married to. The process of your aftermarket tune is this for your case-
It copies whatever tune is currently on the truck into its own storage, and then it uploads the aftermarket tune. The factory tune it downloaded is now in storage on the tuner. Then, when you flash it back to stock, Ford flashes an update to your stock tune, and you reconnect your tuner when you get the truck back. The process is identical- Tuner checks the ECU ID is correct, downloads tune on the truck (It labels this as stock tune, although the original stock tune was altered by ford) and then uploads your aftermarket tune into your ECU.

spartanraptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I usually wait a little while before tuning my new vehicles. Eventually i do, and believe me i know the true meaning of you gotta pay to play lol. Picture C6 Z06 heads/cam etc... dropping the #8 exhaust valve at 180mph and sending the titanium rod through the side of the block lmao.
But for me it doesnt take long to run through a warranty anyways. 60k a year, so i wait a bit making sure nothing major arises. Then when im nearing the end ill do all the big power mods or risky mods per-se. But i highly doubt BPU including a tune is a major risk on these trucks, they built stout imho.

Sullivan21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tuning questions??

Okay so i have my 2010 raptor with the 6.2 and yes i now wanna tune it but i don't wanna screw my warranty up. I dont know if it is possible to tune the truck and then tune it back to stock and not have the dealer know. Is there a tracer in the truck to snitch you out? Thanks!

FiR1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is that Ford will know. That's how it is on my other vehicles. I can flash the stock setting back to the ECU but dealer can tell there were changes made at some point.