Mistakenly neutered my Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good grief - 10 minus 5 seconds until this becomes a gas mileage and is Costco gas better or Sunoco?

I could care less what the manual says - I'm using 93. And I would have sold the raptor if I cared that much about gas. Get a motorcycle license and start riding asap folks, if that is the case, which I do lol :)
So don’t read it. I always run premium because I value it more than it costs. But folks who are feeling the pinch for whatever reason should know their options and how to choose one. Threads like this should be viewed as pubILC service. Be glad you don’t need it. :)

New recaros

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sometimes. It depends on the price. If you get 20mpg on premium and 18mpg on regular, you lose 10%. I’d be surprised if it was that much, but it’s just an example. If regular costs $5 and premium costs $6, that’s 20% more cost. In this case it’s costs less per mile to buy regular.
Well, using your numbers, you save 13.40 cents every 600 miles. Not worth it to me.

Donovan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So don’t read it. I always run premium because I value it more than it costs. But folks who are feeling the pinch for whatever reason should know their options and how to choose one. Threads like this should be viewed as pubILC service. Be glad you don’t need it. :)

Good point -

Toodles.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If this hasn't been said yet. A MPG test needs to be done with both 87 and 91. I have done it a few times on a few vehicles. Many many times if the software is able to recognize higher octane fuel (through knock sensor inputs) then MPG will go up with the higher octane.

In a few tests I have done, many vehicles (my wife's SHO for example) get enough of a MPG boost that cost per mile over the long term is actually 0.01-0.03 cents cheaper.

I am not sure how the "tunes" do it but the factory program will bump timing up until the knock sensor gets angry and back it down. This is for max power and max MPG. The factory program has to be able to survive on 85 (what we have at altitude) but boost performance on 92 (sea lvl , best we have up here is 91).

The OP might not be saving the money he thinks he is.

Driving style is the #1 driver of MPG.

COLORAP303

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, a few things. If you're happy with a down powered engine, good on you, but that's not the context here. You aren't missing anything to save money. Reading the OP's first post he obviously was NOT happy with his down powered engine. He traded a bit of gas money for enjoyment of his vehicle. Is that worth it? Not to me. And, again reading the OP's first paragraph, not worth it to him either.

That out of the way, I don't pay attention because I don't need to, and nothing to do with net worth. You can have a high net worth and lousy free cash flow, somebody who's wealth is locked up in real estate as an example, especially if their primary residence is a big chunk of that. So, I'd stick with a sports car, say a C8, and ability to feed it without worry instead of being a financially nervous Lambo guy, keep more cash flow, and not lock up so much of my net worth in a car I have to be concerned if I can afford to drive. A solid example of financial freedom over net worth thinking.

I just understand the difference between being able to afford to buy something and being able to afford to own something. Combine that with the ability to live well within my means in an area with a low cost of living. I realize people talk themselves in to 'stretching' and lose the freedom to not count nickles and dimes because of that, but it's not me and it's not a lifestyle I "get". I know I can die today, I've no time to worry about gas prices at the expense of enjoying what I've bought.

Which is the point: IF you aren't enjoying it, WHY did you buy it?
That’s cool. You do you and I’ll do me which is debt free and happy

CruiserClass

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s cool. You do you and I’ll do me which is debt free and happy

Who's going into debt to buy premium gas? And also buying a Raptor? If a given person is that stupid, they probably need to have a bankruptcy attorney on speed dial.

No, that's a non sequitur at best. The only debt I carry is mortgage, and I carry that because it's a net loss to pay it off. Buying the correct grade of gasoline for each vehicle surely doesn't influence that.

But we agree it's important to be happy. I don't carry consumer debt because it reduces freedom, servicing debt means less free cash flow and less opportunity to take advantage of 'deals' that pop up. If gas is a significant part of your budget and you aren't 'made happy' by having the full power of a vehicle on tap when you want it, nothing to me. I don't get it, but I don't get lots of things people do, and that's ok with me.

Sonicsunspot

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this hasn't been said yet. A MPG test needs to be done with both 87 and 91. I have done it a few times on a few vehicles. Many many times if the software is able to recognize higher octane fuel (through knock sensor inputs) then MPG will go up with the higher octane.

In a few tests I have done, many vehicles (my wife's SHO for example) get enough of a MPG boost that cost per mile over the long term is actually 0.01-0.03 cents cheaper.

I am not sure how the "tunes" do it but the factory program will bump timing up until the knock sensor gets angry and back it down. This is for max power and max MPG. The factory program has to be able to survive on 85 (what we have at altitude) but boost performance on 92 (sea lvl , best we have up here is 91).

The OP might not be saving the money he thinks he is.

Driving style is the #1 driver of MPG.
Your numbers seem spot on. I tried 87 vs 91 over a decent period of time (did it twice) and experienced 15.8mpg on 87 and 16.1 on 91. Very unscientific but I am consistent on how I drive (not much leadfoot) and blend fairly equal city and highway miles.