Lost #5 CYL - Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackRapto

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need help on this. I have a 2014 Raptor, just shy of 22k. I was at a stop light and my trucks engine started shaking violently, followed by low RPM’s that I had to get on the gas for a bit to pull over to be towed. I towed it to a Ford dealer and they said cylinder #5 lost compression. They also mentioned that my intake system had water, and pointed out that I have a ram air system. (Pic attached) I can tell you, that I did not submerge the truck nor drive it in any puddles etc. I am trying to understand, why the wetness is on the opposite side of the filter? If you look closely, you can also see light dust everywhere and you can see some of the material pushing outwards in the center of the filter.
The dealer and they said the need to tear down the engine, if they find no water I am under warranty.

Your thoughts?

Attachments

• Filter.jpg
    Filter.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 158

jokerz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I need help on this. I have a 2014 Raptor, just shy of 22k. I was at a stop light and my trucks engine started shaking violently, followed by low RPM’s that I had to get on the gas for a bit to pull over to be towed. I towed it to a Ford dealer and they said cylinder #5 lost compression. They also mentioned that my intake system had water, and pointed out that I have a ram air system. (Pic attached) I can tell you, that I did not submerge the truck nor drive it in any puddles etc. I am trying to understand, why the wetness is on the opposite side of the filter? If you look closely, you can also see light dust everywhere and you can see some of the material pushing outwards in the center of the filter.

The dealer and they said the need to tear down the engine, if they find no water I am under warranty.

Your thoughts?

Dealers always play the blame game first. If you sucked in water you would more problems then on just one cylinder. Think about this. Air supplies all cylinders. your air intake isn't just hooked up to one cylinder.

Just my thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ironhorse07

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Also, when/if any water passed through the filter it would be atomized and act more like water injection. Not sure of the actual physics of your particular filter but it is possible that water will not pass through, check with the filter manufacturer.

Vash

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Regardless of the water, loss of compression is typically caused by a leak in the engine. This could be head gasket, rings, valves, or physical damage to the cylinder or cylinder wall. If you had injested enough water to cause damage, it likely would have caused issues with more than one cyclinder.

OP
OP
B

BlackRapto

Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input so far. I agree with if water passed through the filter, it would most likely distribute across all cylinders. I brought that up to the manager, and he said "water can effect 1 cylinder". I called Volant manufacturer and explained what was going on and sent him the picture. The engineers pointed out pointed out everything we all have talked about and the fine dust all over (filter, SS clamps, inside of the box)

Has anyone heard this happening to anyone via aftermarket cold air intake system?

Your help is much appreciated!

jokerz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I appreciate everyone's input so far. I agree with if water passed through the filter, it would most likely distribute across all cylinders. I brought that up to the manager, and he said "water can effect 1 cylinder". I called Volant manufacturer and explained what was going on and sent him the picture. The engineers pointed out pointed out everything we all have talked about and the fine dust all over (filter, SS clamps, inside of the box)

Has anyone heard this happening to anyone via aftermarket cold air intake system?

Your help is much appreciated!

I think your reading into to much really.

I think the cylinder failed and ford is pulling your leg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

moosejaw

Reaction score
wow sorry to hear that is some scary stuff
whats the cost to repair that mess?

Crash33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They will find water (mysteriously) and void warranty... your move.