Loose steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NiteLife

Reaction score
Anyone having an issue with what seems as if the steering gets loose or squirrely at full throttle? (kinda hard to explain, but) I have recently noticed when I floor it at highway speeds the front end feels like it starts boating or steering gets loose, first time I noticed it is when I was entering the Interstate from a on ramp, I stomped the accelerator and felt as if the rear started to fish tail slightly. I was impressed to say the least but the next few times I noticed it, there is no way possible I could be fishtailing. My thoughts are that during heavy acceleration I may be getting enough air under the frontend to lighten it enough to get squirrely or may I need to add a steering stabilizer? Any thoughts are welcome.

2011 SCAB, super charged, stock suspension, stock wheels and tires.

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Anyone having an issue with what seems as if the steering gets loose or squirrely at full throttle? (kinda hard to explain, but) I have recently noticed when I floor it at highway speeds the front end feels like it starts boating or steering gets loose, first time I noticed it is when I was entering the Interstate from a on ramp, I stomped the accelerator and felt as if the rear started to fish tail slightly. I was impressed to say the least but the next few times I noticed it, there is no way possible I could be fishtailing. My thoughts are that during heavy acceleration I may be getting enough air under the frontend to lighten it enough to get squirrely or may I need to add a steering stabilizer? Any thoughts are welcome.

2011 SCAB, super charged, stock suspension, stock wheels and tires.
Could be your steering rack going. They are underdesigned for the raptor. How many miles on the truck? Lots of off-road miles?

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

summit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

1ss2nv

Reaction score
Mine some what started doing the same thing. I checked the PS fluid and it was low but couldn't find leak. Then I checked one of the boots on the rack and sure enough it's leaking. Doesn't look like much. My truck only has 40k. Dealer says 1500 to replace. Wonder if there is a better one for our trucks...?

Yukon Joe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine some what started doing the same thing. I checked the PS fluid and it was low but couldn't find leak. Then I checked one of the boots on the rack and sure enough it's leaking. Doesn't look like much. My truck only has 40k. Dealer says 1500 to replace. Wonder if there is a better one for our trucks...?
No better one. Only thing available is a rebuilt from rockauto. They have the best price.

Yukon Joe :baby: :baby:

summit your photo for the calendar contest
http://www.fordraptorforum.com/showthread.php?t=44744

1ss2nv

Reaction score
Do you know what the part # is? I see 2 on their but not sure which one it is.
Thanks

OP
OP
NiteLife

NiteLife

Reaction score
My fluid level is normal and I find no leakage. Steering seems to be getting worse. Figured if I take it to the dealer they'll blame it on my super charger.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer. I had a rack replaced at 33,000 miles on my '10. I had aftermarket UCAs and tie rods too so the SC shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WRCRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It could be the bushings in the upper control arms or the lower control arm bushings or the bolts are lose. I would check all the bushings and ball joints and bolts in the front end.