Long Tube Headers and Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The Whipple/Ford Tune for LT headers was calibrated with the O2s on.
It's no trick.

And no Nick I'm running full stock exhaust, would I like to do a exhaust mod yes but not for what its going to cost. Maybe when it's time to replace the exhaust or if my money tree grows another 100 years real quick.

Last edited:

KaiserM715

Kaiser Söze
Reaction score
a tune just shuts the rear o2's off. thats why it wont pass inspection because the o2's never ready. im going to try to talk to KHCDave about this tomorrow as i know he has headers and lives in ny.
There are a couple of ways to skin this cat. One is to turn the rear O2s off all together. This seems to be the case for the vast majority here who have tunes. As far as I am aware, your will not pass emissions anywhere with them turned off. The other way is to keep them active, but to turn off some of the error reporting features - primarily error reporting for "not ready". The second method is what I have on my G8 and WILL pass Texas emissions inspection. I don't know anything about the programming differences between Ford and GM. Based on what I know, there is not a way to have long tubes with high flow cats have no codes and all readys complete with a tune, only with O2 simulators (which are pretty hard to come by, from what I have heard, due to the EPA cracking down).

Note: I am not a tune expert. Correct me if I am wrong.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not either but have friends who know some.
And they would never give any trade secrets out.
Mostly because they have signed contract agreements.

Last edited:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this application is different from the topic of this thread but still has anyone tried this on a non SC Raptor?

Here's a post from Ryguy84 that got his to pass on a Whippled Raptor with Kooks LT's, just remove the Hi-Flow cats and replaced them with his stock ones.
I know this is a Whipple/Ford Tune for LTs with the O2s on, but maybe it might give someone an idea.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/whipple-long-tube-tune-18541/#post321629

Last edited:

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know this application is different from the topic of this thread but still has anyone tried this on a non SC Raptor?

Here's a post from Ryguy84 that got his to pass on a Whippled Raptor with Kooks LT's, just remove the Hi-Flow cats and replaced them with his stock ones.
I know this is a Whipple/Ford Tune for LTs with the O2s on, but maybe it might give someone an idea.

http://www.fordraptorforum.com/f24/whipple-long-tube-tune-18541/#post321629

Without some serious welding you cannot get stock cats on SW LT headers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
and its not only the cats that are the problem its the re-positioning of then. They are set a certain distance away. The headers now move them further down and the temps are different. Really all you would need is to retune the O2s with software but, the Ford strategy software is propitiatory and Ford will not let out for anyone!!!

Hole Shot

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I know some people who have cut the collectors on there long tubes as short as possible and cut cats as short as possible and weld them together to take advantage of as much heat as possible.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
and its not only the cats that are the problem its the re-positioning of then. They are set a certain distance away. The headers now move them further down and the temps are different. Really all you would need is to retune the O2s with software but, the Ford strategy software is propitiatory and Ford will not let out for anyone!!!

It's also very hard for the PCM to read all the cylinders from the front O2 sensor because of the way the O2 is positioned in the collector.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Without some serious welding you cannot get stock cats on SW LT headers

Yeah, but if you can't get your truck inspected what are you going to do?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's also very hard for the PCM to read all the cylinders from the front O2 sensor because of the way the O2 is positioned in the collector.

---------- Post added at 06:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 PM ----------

Yeah, but if you can't get your truck inspected what are you going to do?

Thats the re-positioning that is causing all the problems.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats the re-positioning that is causing all the problems.

I was just pointing out there are other issues with LT's and emissions.

This is why Ford didn't want to do a Tune for Whipple and the LTs in the beginning.
Ford spent a lot of time and money just doing R & D on the Whipple it's self and stock exhaust.
And they have been down this road before with the GT 500

And it's more than just the repositioning of the cats location, it's also the monitoring of the gases from front O2s and passing through the cat's to the rear O2.
So if you combine distance away and less elements in the cats it's never going to work unless you can correct with Tune.
Or figure out how to get them hotter without melting them by having them to close to the headers or in the collectors.
And good racing cats cost a lot more than the ones you see out there.
So it's a cost issue too.

Last edited: