GEN 2 Locking keys in the truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is pulling the battery any "smarter" than wrapping with foil?
Both fobs can still be used to start the truck if properly handled (either placed in the right location or unwrapped from foil.

Neither fob will open the doors to an unauthorized person outside the truck.

Neither fob will start the truck if someone breaks in and doesn't manipulate the fob.

You answered your own question, no?

If both methods work the same, do the same, and have the same pros/cons why wrap the fob in foil, which IMHO looks like crap, vs. just taking the battery out?

I'm not here to try and change anyone's mind. I just do not see the point of buying special RFID blocking bags, cans, etc...when all you have to do is remove a battery.

Your money, your truck, do whatever makes sense to you.

dewalt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I daily drive with key left in truck. So it is easier to bag remote than put batteries in it

Jiman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I rolled down the window, armed the alarm by pressing the outside keypad, and set off the alarm, while still inside the truck.

Found that as the alarm was going off, the truck started right up after pressing the start button.

i can see now why people would want to block the RFID signal if they keep their key in the car.

IMO when the alarm goes off, the driver should have to reset the alarm by fob and/or by entering the correct code for the truck to be drivable. Too bad that doesn't appear to be the case.

jaz13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I daily drive with key left in truck. So it is easier to bag remote than put batteries in it

You don't need to put the battery back in, all you need to do is place the fob in the slot under the front cup holder. That is the procedure for starting the truck with a dead fob battery.

ThugHunter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Outside your house in the FBI Surveillance Van
So it never crossed your mind that some thug could break your window, rummage through your truck's belongings, find your keys and then joyride the shit out of your $65k+ truck.

Oh yeah cuz that would never happen to you or the hundreds of people it happens to daily across this country. I just took an auto theft yesterday morning where some early something girl moved to Austin from a "gated community in Florida where this never happened" left her keys in her Jeep and amazingly it disappeared while she was at work.

I wouldn't even leave the keys in my golf cart these days and you're talking about leaving them in your truck. Think it through, then if you still think it's a good idea, watch a couple police pursuit videos on youtube to see how the majority of stolen vehicle's end up being recovered.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:00 PM ----------

I can't believe there's three pages on people discussing and offering ideas how to accomplish this. I bet some of you even leave your firearms in your vehicles as well.

I wonder if I will ever stop being surprised by the lack of common sense with humans these days.