GEN 2 Let the Big Dogs Run...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
There is a post on here somewhere about calibrating your mpg to get an accurate number.

I've been gathering data to do this. It looks like mine is reporting about 8% high for mpg. Best I've seen reported is 20.4, gassing up near Vail and then driving the very slow I-70 downhill to Denver and then the slow I-25 uphill to here. Which would be somewhere in the high 18s once I correct it.

Ted Schroeder

Reaction score
If you’re mostly highway and running good fuel I believe it. This truck gets better mpg than my LS6 manual transmission CTSV around town. It can’t quite pull the 23-24 I can get on the highway but around town the 10 spd and V6 really work together.

Nothing but 93 octane from day 1 and 80 percent highway the rest back roads. Actually didn’t really care what the window sticker said being what the truck is and the capabilities the Raptor has. Best truck I ever bought in my life and so much fun to drive.

isis

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing but 93 octane from day 1 and 80 percent highway the rest back roads. Actually didn’t really care what the window sticker said being what the truck is and the capabilities the Raptor has. Best truck I ever bought in my life and so much fun to drive.
To be fair I am 100% more likely to hoon my 3800 lb V8 car than a 5500 lb truck. So my foot probably affects it too. I think they’d probably get the same in an evenly mixed scenario. I have a 2 mile commute so that skews everything down. I get 11 in the car during the winter and 13 in the truck. Both on 93. Summer they both bump up 2-3 just from hitting operating temp once in a while and no warm up idling.

VGKRaptor

Reaction score
Its a brand new truck, that average will come down real quick.
I’m wondering how you were able to do 90+ and get 17.9 mpg. I usually average 80 and average is 14 mpg for my truck. I may need a tune, but then again I’m on crappy CA 91. I haven’t seen a Raptor wave either and I see a ton here in CA, maybe a TX thing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Run from Vegas to Salt Lake at 80-85 5k miles on truck and got the exact same 17.9mpg

Mystic201

Reaction score
Just got home from a trip from Pa. to Idaho and back 5800mi avg. 78-83 mph. 15.7 mpg. Loaded with minimum hunting gear for two guys.

FML

Reaction score
Chicago to SilverLake Dunes this weekend. 18.8 MPG on 85 Octane @ ~ 80MPH.

18.0 MPG on 93 Octane @~80 MPH on the way home!?

Tonneau cover, but all else stock

DeerHunter44

Full Access Member
Reaction score
350 mile round trip to hunting property. Included 10-15 miles of pasture and slow going off road and the rest 75 mph interstate. 17.5 MPG on 91 premium. Surprisingly little wind on this trip either way. Last weekend I got 16.1 MPG on basically the same trip but moderate headwind on the way home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UWMad

Reaction score
Just made the trip from Minneapolis to the Ozarks. Averaged about 16.78 by hand, then lost an O2 sensor averaged 13 on the way home. Truck was running rich as can be probably burned up a cat in the process... sure the dealer will let me know tomorrow

*had the rtt, two dogs, two adults, and about 600lbs of gear in/on bed

2017 with 17k on her

saym14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys compared miles to the actual gallons it takes to fill up? Check out the accuracy?

When I run from Ca to prescott on 91 I get about 15 there and 17 back. Stock , soft bed cover. At 50to 65 mph I get 18 to 20. over 70 mpg drops,

Funny Have a thread about top speed runs turns into a mpg comparison… By the way it’s easy to run 90 95 mph on the southern California autobahn...V1 at the ready. Today a compare tried to pull me from about 45 to 95 getting on the freeway and was sore embarrassed.

MDD

Reaction score
Interesting thread. While few of us really probably care about mileage (after all we bought raptors!) but it is interesting when this beast gets decent mpg. I’ve tried 87 vs 93 octane. I corrected the display so that it now only over-estimates 0.3 mpg or so compared to hand cal a. I haven’t seen a Consistent difference between 87 and 93. I don’t notice a power gain from 93 either. I have seen 17.5 mpg FL to NC on two different trips running 75-80 mph. Flat ground no wind. The thing that was the same is that is was running a tank of 87 immediately after a tank of 93. Weird. I wonder if it’s a computer thing with 87 immediately after 93. Also I think gas quality varies widely from station to station. My long term avg is ~16.5 mpg mostly highway.