lessons learned- Alternative off road hood mount install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was dreading installing these from all the horror stories I read, but they really aren't that bad. I did the passenger side first and it took about an hour from start to finish. The driver side only took about 10 minutes after learning from mistakes made on the other side.

It was probably luck, but no disasters. Didn't cross thread anything, lose anything or scratch anything.

Prep is the key. First, tape everything! Until you get the mounts snugged down there isn't any way that I found to keep them from making contact with the hood. The brackets have very sharp edges and will scratch the edge of the fender or hood very easily. I started with one layer of tape on just the hood and quickly realized that wasn't going to be enough. Just to be safe I placed 3 layers on the hood where the bracket was contacting and one on the bracket. Additionally, I taped off the areas within the wrench swing so I didn't have to worry about scratching anything when doing the install. I also ran tape over the "hell hole" that seems to suck in bolts and tools just to make sure nothing ended up down there.

Sharpie outline the hood brackets before removing anything. This reference will be extremely valuable when tightening everything up.

Disconnect both hood struts prior to starting, especially if you are doing this by yourself. I got lucky and found a PVC pipe at work that was close to the right length I needed. I taped bubble wrap onto it where it made contact with the bottom of the grille and foam padding where it rested between the radiator and bumper. This will allow you to manipulate the brackets to get both bolts to start cleanly.

The only tools I used was a 10mm ratcheting wrench and a 1/4 socket wrench. I thought this would save me time, but the back bolt still had to be turned with the open end of the wrench when the bracket was installed. There wasn't enough room between the bolt and the head of the wrench to get it on.

I don't remember if most guys that have done the install ground a flat side into the washers or not, I found it made it easier to get the bolts threaded easily.

I do remember that most said to do the back bolt first. After quite a few failed attempts to get the back started squarely I went ahead and started the front bolt first. This was just to be able to see what a correct bolt alignment looked like. One I had the front started with a couple turns by hand, I could place the rear bolt at the same orientation. It made installing the rear bolt much easier as I can definitely see how many have cross threaded the rear bolt. What seems to be straight isn't.

After both both are started, push the bracket as far towards the cab of the truck as possible. This gets rid of the interference between the hood and the bracket. Also, keep the bracket square to the hood mount. When I finished, the driver side set about 3/16 higher than the passenger side. Not a big deal but it set my OCD off. I realized the driver side bracket was canted outboard, causing it to sit higher.

Once both bolts are cleanly started, force the bracket into the position you want. I did a test closing of the hood just to make sure there wouldn't be any contact before tightening everything down. What worked best for me was flush against the hood bracket and as far towards the rear of the cab as possible. Now is where the sharpie outline of the original position of the hood brackets come into play. Keep the light bracket where you want it, but get the hood brackets back to their original position based off the sharpie outline.

One additional note, I marked the front bolt for each side before removal, but really didn't see a difference between the two of them.

The front bolt torques down easily with pretty much any 10mm tool. The rear, for me anyway, required an open 10mm wrench and some creative articulation to get it seated properly.

**alibi** I'm sure most know this, but to feed the bracket into position, turn it upside down to feed the mounting tab under the hood, then rotate it into mounting position.

That's it, reconnect hood struts, install your lights, remove tape and enjoy....

AlternativeOffroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I was dreading installing these from all the horror stories I read, but they really aren't that bad. I did the passenger side first and it took about an hour from start to finish. The driver side only took about 10 minutes after learning from mistakes made on the other side.

It was probably luck, but no disasters. Didn't cross thread anything, lose anything or scratch anything.

Prep is the key. First, tape everything! Until you get the mounts snugged down there isn't any way that I found to keep them from making contact with the hood. The brackets have very sharp edges and will scratch the edge of the fender or hood very easily. I started with one layer of tape on just the hood and quickly realized that wasn't going to be enough. Just to be safe I placed 3 layers on the hood where the bracket was contacting and one on the bracket. Additionally, I taped off the areas within the wrench swing so I didn't have to worry about scratching anything when doing the install. I also ran tape over the "hell hole" that seems to suck in bolts and tools just to make sure nothing ended up down there.

Sharpie outline the hood brackets before removing anything. This reference will be extremely valuable when tightening everything up.

Disconnect both hood struts prior to starting, especially if you are doing this by yourself. I got lucky and found a PVC pipe at work that was close to the right length I needed. I taped bubble wrap onto it where it made contact with the bottom of the grille and foam padding where it rested between the radiator and bumper. This will allow you to manipulate the brackets to get both bolts to start cleanly.

The only tools I used was a 10mm ratcheting wrench and a 1/4 socket wrench. I thought this would save me time, but the back bolt still had to be turned with the open end of the wrench when the bracket was installed. There wasn't enough room between the bolt and the head of the wrench to get it on.

I don't remember if most guys that have done the install ground a flat side into the washers or not, I found it made it easier to get the bolts threaded easily.

I do remember that most said to do the back bolt first. After quite a few failed attempts to get the back started squarely I went ahead and started the front bolt first. This was just to be able to see what a correct bolt alignment looked like. One I had the front started with a couple turns by hand, I could place the rear bolt at the same orientation. It made installing the rear bolt much easier as I can definitely see how many have cross threaded the rear bolt. What seems to be straight isn't.

After both both are started, push the bracket as far towards the cab of the truck as possible. This gets rid of the interference between the hood and the bracket. Also, keep the bracket square to the hood mount. When I finished, the driver side set about 3/16 higher than the passenger side. Not a big deal but it set my OCD off. I realized the driver side bracket was canted outboard, causing it to sit higher.

Once both bolts are cleanly started, force the bracket into the position you want. I did a test closing of the hood just to make sure there wouldn't be any contact before tightening everything down. What worked best for me was flush against the hood bracket and as far towards the rear of the cab as possible. Now is where the sharpie outline of the original position of the hood brackets come into play. Keep the light bracket where you want it, but get the hood brackets back to their original position based off the sharpie outline.

One additional note, I marked the front bolt for each side before removal, but really didn't see a difference between the two of them.

The front bolt torques down easily with pretty much any 10mm tool. The rear, for me anyway, required an open 10mm wrench and some creative articulation to get it seated properly.

**alibi** I'm sure most know this, but to feed the bracket into position, turn it upside down to feed the mounting tab under the hood, then rotate it into mounting position.

That's it, reconnect hood struts, install your lights, remove tape and enjoy....

Thanks for the write-up! I'm sure this will help MANY users who go to install our brackets.

Some have ZERO issues installing them, and others do have some issues. It's just kinda the way it is! But this guide will sure help!

As far as the drivers side being higher, do you know if it was an issue with the bracket itself or something else like the way it was tightened down? I just took a look at a set here and both sides look identical from all the measurements I took.

Thanks again!

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Definitely D the washers for the passenger side. Also, it might be good to shave down a hair off the side, as the passenger side hood hinge has the ground attached to it, which can cause the bracket to want to sit funky and throw everything else off.

Other than those minor things, these things are super solid and a great addition to my truck!

OP
OP
nsdq3

nsdq3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It was 100% my fault, I had the bracket **** eyed. Once I straightened it out they said perfectly level to each other

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
It was 100% my fault, I had the bracket **** eyed. Once I straightened it out they said perfectly level to each other

I would have been more than happy to help out. I can finish hood bracket installs in just minutes. All I do is 1 side at a time.

Doing it this way, by sliding the mount in the tightening the back bolt while the hood is down, the hood will be locked in by the safety mechanism and still attached to the truck on the opposite side and will not move!

-Lift hood
-Remove hydraulic strut on left
-Use broom to prop hood
-remove front bolt from the hood mount
-lower hood until the safe mechanism latches (do not latch to the point you have to pull the release inside the cab, the shudder can shift the hood)
-remove back bolt from the hood mount
-slide in bracket
-install back bolt and use extensions to tighten the back bolt
-lift and prop hood
-install front bolt
-install left side hydraulic strut

wash rinse repeat on other side. Takes only minutes and the hood doesn't move at all!

ANDR3W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would have been more than happy to help out. I can finish hood bracket installs in just minutes. All I do is 1 side at a time.

-Lift hood
-Remove hydraulic strut on left
-Use broom to prop hood
-remove front bolt
-lower hood
-slide in bracket
-install back bolt and use extensions to tighten the back bolt
-lift and prop hood
-install front bolt
-install left side hydraulic strut

wash rinse repeat on other side. Takes only minutes and the hood doesn't move at all!

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but at what point do you remove the back bolt?

Raptor Embroidery

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>Raptor_Al_41</font
Reaction score
Maybe I'm misunderstanding but at what point do you remove the back bolt?

The back bolt that holds the hood down. You must remove it to install the mount. Doing it my way while the hood is down keeps the hood in the same position.

The back bolt for the hood mount is accessible from the outside when you are doing the install.

ANDR3W

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The back bolt that holds the hood down. You must remove it to install the mount. Doing it my way while the hood is down keeps the hood in the same position.

The back bolt for the hood mount is accessible from the outside when you are doing the install.

So, remove front bolt, lower hood, remove back bolt, slide mount in, put back bolt right back in, lift hood, install front bolt?