Left Sunroof Open Last Night (Texas Storms and Dead Touch Screen)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, need some help. 2014 Raptop
I have no need for a sunroof, I never use it. My truck has 13,000 miles and the sun roof has been opened 3 times (Once to see if it worked, twice to make sure I was clearing overhead objects)

Sunroofs are for women and city slickers (But thats just one guys opinion) :flipthebird: Sunroofs!

Anyway, last night while backing into my gargae to plasti-Dip my badges (Never had the truck in the garage past the cab before) I opened the sunroof and poked my head out to see if I was clearing the garage ceiling. When I was finished I pulled the Raptor back into the drive way. I never considered the damn sunroof might be open. Its not something I think about.

I came out this morning in a hurry, had to get to work fast. Opened the door and my truck was soaked. If you watch the news you know Texas is getting hammered with rain. The cup holders were full, the floor boards and seats were soaked. The back seats are in good shape though. I had seat covers on teh front seats, and large floor mats in teh front floor boards, those helped take a lot of the water. I cleaned up as much water as possible and drove to work sitting on a garbage bag.

I plan to take the seats and carpet out when I get home and dry everything over the weekend.

The major concern is the stereo. It works, but as I drove to work the touch screen started to fail. First the bottom half of the touch stopped working. 30 minutes later the whole screen stopped responding. The radio and all its features work, at least the ones that can be controlled from the steering wheel. But the screen is dead, I dont expect it to come back to life. The screen lights up, you can see everything normally, but the touch interface is dead.

Im posting here to ask about options. Do you think I can source a new digitizer for the screen? Or will the unit need replaced. Should I look for OEM replacement Or should I look at aftermarket? What aftermarket model? I dont want to lose functionality, so I assuem OEM will be needed.

Or, does anyone here have the OEM stereo for a 2014 Raptor with Luxury package? Anyone know of a junk yard with a wrecked Raptor?

Last edited:

Bulletnjm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ugh I know the feeling bud. I left my back slider open one night and it ****** rained. What a nightmare. Make sure you shop vac the carpet real good to pull the moisture out. Sorry I can't help with the touchscreen just offering up some advice.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ugh I know the feeling bud. I left my back slider open one night and it ****** rained. What a nightmare. Make sure you shop vac the carpet real good to pull the moisture out. Sorry I can't help with the touchscreen just offering up some advice.

Im going to buy a shop vac after work. And some chemicals that pull out moisture. I think teh seats and floors will be fine, after some TLC today.
ANd I agree with the previous poster on the insurance claim. What a pain in the ass that will be.

That will require a trip to Ford servcie dept, which I avoid at all costs. I may be forced to visit Ford now. Just the thought of dealing with the super rude, super slow super dumb people at FOrd is a nightmare.

No offense to anyone here, I know there are likely some good people that work at Ford servcie depts. But I have had nothing but **** poor experiences dealing with them. I have numerous examples. One example being "Overfilling my 2012 GT 500 with motor oil. 2.5 quarts to much and I drive it that way for 3000 miles without knowing. That whole experience was nuts. I have plenty more.

Im sure this Raptor trip to Ford will turn out ****** also. And I will probably get a new dent or scratch out of it to remember them by.

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
ANd I agree with the previous poster on the insurance claim. What a pain in the ass that will be.

That will require a trip to Ford servcie dept, which I avoid at all costs. I may be forced to visit Ford now. Just the thought of dealing with the super rude, super slow super dumb people at FOrd is a nightmare.

Why do you think going though your insurance is a bad idea? You can have your vehicle repaired wherever you want, you don't have to go to the dealer. I'm always interested in hearing peoples stories as I've been in the insurance industry 10+ years. Not trying to jack your thread or anything but there is lots of damage that may only appear later on. You will need to replace your jute padding to avoid potential mold, grease the seat brackets for rust, check your airbag wiring for corrosion and on and on... not even starting into the potential electrical issues. If your cup holders were full man you need to file a claim. This is why people have comprehensive coverage.

Also wanted to add that I was in the auto repair industry for 10 years before insurance. I have "repaired" many water damaged vehicles and to say they are never the same is an understatement if not done correctly. Talk to someone in the industry before make up your mind.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why do you think going though your insurance is a bad idea? You can have your vehicle repaired wherever you want, you don't have to go to the dealer. I'm always interested in hearing peoples stories as I've been in the insurance industry 10+ years. Not trying to jack your thread or anything but there is lots of damage that may only appear later on. You will need to replace your jute padding to avoid potential mold, grease the seat brackets for rust, check your airbag wiring for corrosion and on and on... not even starting into the potential electrical issues. If your cup holders were full man you need to file a claim. This is why people have comprehensive coverage.

Also wanted to add that I was in the auto repair industry for 10 years before insurance. I have "repaired" many water damaged vehicles and to say they are never the same is an understatement if not done correctly. Talk to someone in the industry before make up your mind.

Im not aganist the Insurance claim, though my rates will likely go up Im sure, even if they are not supposed to increase.
I just figure FOrd is where teh truck would need to go. WHere else would I take it if it needs a new FOrd OEM Head unit? I am open to ideas, thats why I posted here. I just never thought about taking it elsehwere, seems like the palce the makes the truck would have the easiest access to the parts that need to go back in the truck. Though I might be wrong about that.

If this happened to your truck where would you take it?

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Im not aganist the Insurance claim, though my rates will likely go up Im sure, even if they are not supposed to increase.
I just figure FOrd is where teh truck would need to go. WHere else would I take it if it needs a new FOrd OEM Head unit? I am open to ideas, thats why I posted here. I just never thought about taking it elsehwere, seems like the palce the makes the truck would have the easiest access to the parts that need to go back in the truck. Though I might be wrong about that.

If this happened to your truck where would you take it?

Dependent on your company your rates should not increase for a comprehensive loss. Any shop can order a head unit from Ford and delivered same day no problem. Shoot even you could do that. I have a shop I have worked with here for years. Where are you located? Maybe I can assist. I would at a minimum take it in and have a diagnostic done before you do anything else. I'm assuming the vehicle runs/drives? Water and electronics are a nightmare.

OP
OP
M

MJslasherADMIN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dependent on your company your rates should not increase for a comprehensive loss. Any shop can order a head unit from Ford and delivered same day no problem. Shoot even you could do that. I have a shop I have worked with here for years. Where are you located? Maybe I can assist. I would at a minimum take it in and have a diagnostic done before you do anything else. I'm assuming the vehicle runs/drives? Water and electronics are a nightmare.

North Dallas Texas

My truck runs and drives fine. We are talking about the headliner being soaked, the front seats being soaked, the front floor boards being soaked, under the front seats being soaked, rain water on teh dash. Teh water on the dash and console only seemed to have caused as issue with teh head unit. Teh unit plays and works, the screen looks fine. The touch portion is not working, thats all.

I am going to take teh seats and carpet and pad out myself. Thats an easy job. I will dry them.

MY truck is at work right now, the Texas heat has already dried it 80% of the way. I will call Nationwide and start a claim.

Last edited:

Idleone

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is going to be a huge repair bill man. I wouldn't recommend you disassembling the vehicle before an adjuster sees it. There are two places I would recommend in the Dallas area with no hesitation. There is JOHN EAGLE COLLISION 6125 Peeler St. and Stuart paint and body 10440 Plano Rd. Interestingly enough if you have ever seen the show "Fast and Loud," Stuart was the shop that painted the black F40. Both excellent choices. John Eagle may be a direct repair for Nationwide as well. Keep your warranty paperwork. I can see this repair being over 10k. Good luck and keep us informed!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc