King 3.0's or Fox 3.0's for a more compliant ride?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Huck

FRF Addict
Reaction score
are you asking for the front? rear? both?

Adding Deaver +3s in the back wont make the truck "stiffer" unless you go with the HD variant of the deavers and run an empty bed.

standard +3 deavers will not stiffen the ride. They are a progressive spring who's rate changes depending on where the wheel is in the range of travel.

the 3.0 remote reservoir shocks will give you more damping ( and thus control). perceived stiffness can be tuned out by adjusting the bypass settings.

The guidance that I've been given by a few of the well-respected suspension parts makers has been: If you daily the truck and occasionally beat on it, go with the FOX kit. If you want to prioritize off-road performance over street manners, and you want more of a race-ready setup, go with King.

I am choosing to go Fox ( already have their bumps in the back.).

Future plans for my truck include adding front bypasses, so I feel like I'll have plenty of control and performance with my plan. ( For reference, RPG seems to be one of the few companies that don't require re-valving the front 3.0s when bypasses are added to their bolt kit or to their forthcoming mid-travel gen 2 kit.)

I've also seen more than a few people posting up issues about the spring contacting the shock body on the kings ( and making the truck sounds broken or cheap). I haven't seen anything to that note posted about fox.

I had that issue with my Kings, it was addressed and fixed. It was a bad spring, bad temper during heat treat process. Simple enough to fix.

Other thing to think about is where you live, the fox’s have a unknown surface treatment, the gen 1 version would almost rust out in one winters use. I went with king because the gen 2 actually had new technology vs the old (other then new color, and bypass flow) and I could get them factory powder coated.

I like the additional rebound bypass on the rear Kings, and the larger shock shaft, true 3.0” tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fox shocks with the DSC adjusters are amazing and super easy to tune, no need for a tuner. You just dial up whatever you want, soft for pavement, reach in and turn a couple clicks and boom, you’re ready for baja.
It doesn’t have to be rocket science.

PS. I have the Geiser progressive springs with stock shocks and it’s noticeably firmer but the faster you go the more you’ll love them.
I just got back from a prefun baja 500 trip with the guys from Baja HQ and my truck with the Deaver +2’s and BFG 37’s worked amazing. I had so much ding **** fun I’m still grinning.
I mean SO MUCH FUN!

Last edited:

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Fox shocks with the DSC adjusters are amazing and super easy to tune, no need for a tuner. You just dial up whatever you want, soft for pavement, reach in and turn a couple clicks and boom, you’re ready for baja.
It doesn’t have to be rocket science.

PS. I have the Geiser progressive springs with stock shocks and it’s noticeably firmer but the faster you go the more you’ll love them.
I just got back from a prefun baja 500 trip with the guys from Baja HQ and my truck with the Deaver +2’s and BFG 37’s worked amazing. I had so much ding **** fun I’m still grinning.
I mean SO MUCH FUN!

Any rubbing with the tires? Thinking of picking a set up of the 37 BFGs once my stocks are dead.

I have the geisers and Deaver+3s but also have after market wheels.

Nimrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any rubbing with the tires? Thinking of picking a set up of the 37 BFGs once my stocks are dead.

I have the geisers and Deaver+3s but also have after market wheels.

It depends on the backspacing of the wheel. I have Method 17” wheels and I’ve had zero rubbing. Not even when I went to Moab and was in some pretty twisted up spots.

murph145

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends on the backspacing of the wheel. I have Method 17” wheels and I’ve had zero rubbing. Not even when I went to Moab and was in some pretty twisted up spots.

Very cool. I have method 17s also with the 0 offset. I think I'll try those 37s out next. 35s look kinda small now with the geisers and deavers. Just didn't want to take off a fender flare while playing in the dirt.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the Fox DSC shocks I just put on. They are preset as far as ride height. I did have RPG 2.25" collars, but didn't like the way it rode with the pre-load on the stock springs. The Fox sit perfectly level. I planned on 37's but ended up getting 35 toyo mt's. Now I'm wishing I got 37 bfg ko2's. But here is the deal, I was told to run 37's with the Fox DSC, you need to crank down on the preload even more to get enough room for 37"s. Then you are right back at losing that sweet plush feel like the collars did. idk, probably going to try and fit the 37 ko2's in there and see what happens. Going to Baja this weekend for the race so will get to test out the new shocks.

TXRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have the Fox DSC shocks I just put on. They are preset as far as ride height. I did have RPG 2.25" collars, but didn't like the way it rode with the pre-load on the stock springs. The Fox sit perfectly level. I planned on 37's but ended up getting 35 toyo mt's. Now I'm wishing I got 37 bfg ko2's. But here is the deal, I was told to run 37's with the Fox DSC, you need to crank down on the preload even more to get enough room for 37"s. Then you are right back at losing that sweet plush feel like the collars did. idk, probably going to try and fit the 37 ko2's in there and see what happens. Going to Baja this weekend for the race so will get to test out the new shocks.

Any reason you did not try the Geiser Springs? I considered the RPG 2.25 collar, but after several negative reviews like yours, I ordered the Geisers and Deaver +3s for my Gen 2 37" tires build.

DEGBTI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Any reason you did not try the Geiser Springs? I considered the RPG 2.25 collar, but after several negative reviews like yours, I ordered the Geisers and Deaver +3s for my Gen 2 37" tires build.

I was going to go that route, but even with springs you are pulling the shock further. There is no way around it. To gain 3" ride height the stock shock has to extend further. This will allow it to top out sooner. It works, but its not for me.

The fox shocks feel very close to the stockers, but with a planted feel. Excited to try them out.