It's been 2 full months now

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JAndreF321

Full Access Member
Reaction score
TFL Truck is an internet video channel; not a legitimate source for information. I enjoy their videos, but they aren't establishing their own industry standard.

Toyota is notorious for not changing their models and updating only the bare minimum to keep their loyal followers buying their overpriced outdated junk, relying solely on reputation for sales. That is how a company survives when they are selling 2020 models with drum brakes and infotainment systems that date back 15 years. They still rely on a reputation they (barely) earned in the 70/80's, and it's not even remotely relevant today.

As far as the longest lasting trucks, one need to look no further than commercial/industrial applications to see what continues to sell and last the longest decade after decade. I'm referring to industries such as forestry, oil/natural gas drilling, construction, agriculture, mining, and utilities. F-Series is #1, followed by GM and RAM. Toyota and Nissan doesn't even make the chart, because they can't survive commercial or industrial work. These companies are not biased; they buy the product that lasts the longest and has the lowest operating cost.

The TFL Truck episode was them citing a study from iseecars.com simply taking raw numbers of vehicles sold and registered in 2019 which had over certain mileage. There are loads of issues with this specific study, but it does follow a certain methodology and you can draw conclusions from its nearly 16 million vehicle study sample. No, this doesn't include numbers on whether the vehicle breaks down, if the consumer was happy with the vehicle, or if all the Tundras had their engines replaced every 5k miles. It simply shows how many vehicles were registered are over that mileage. This is why I mentioned it in a reply to someone talking about a vehicle going over 300k miles. TFL trucks is an entertainment channel and most of their information is opinion based, however this study does provide an insight into the subject content on this thread. No single study should be taken as gospel regardless.

https://www.iseecars.com/longest-lasting-cars-study

OP
OP
MikeE

MikeE

Reaction score
Coming from a Tundra I would be curious to know what you love about your new Ford Raptor. The Tundra has an enviable reputation as having a bulletproof drivetrain that will easily go 300k miles.

It came down to 2 things, really. One is they're stubborn resistance to change. My 3rd and final one was a 2019 Platinum I bought last Feb. Toyota was supposed to do a complete re-do for 2021, but that has been pushed back. The plan was to purchase a 3rd gen in it's 3rd or 4th year.
The second is I left my place of work for 35yrs in January and headed on down the road a mile. And this parking lot is absolutely a Ford truck parking lot. These boys all drive King Ranch's, F250 Lariat, F-250 Platinum and one of the gals drives the Gen 1 Raptor. I drove Ford's for 25 years before I switched to the Tundra. So seeing all of theses beasts when I pull in and out each day sealed the deal for me. So after owning the new Tundra for 10 1/2 months, I sold it and bought the Raptor. Kinda sucks having a car payment again, but it feels so frickin good when I push down that accelerator.

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The new 2022 Tundra will hit dealerships in Q4 of 2021. It’s rumored to have a 3.5 twin turbo V6 cranking out 450HP. A Hybrid version will be available and supposedly gets 30 mpg on the highway.

7E15C054-9174-4410-8452-3D5FA3992BAD.jpeg

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The new 2022 Tundra will hit dealerships in Q4 of 2021. It’s rumored to have a 3.5 twin turbo V6 cranking out 450HP. A Hybrid version will be available and supposedly gets 30 mpg on the highway.

View attachment 141664

Toyota is combining their Tacoma/Tundra platform into what they're calling their TGNA truck architecture. As the Tundra is the worst selling and worst performing pickup on the market (Nissan excluded), they're probably figuring they have little to lose at this point. The new platform will most likely will be built in Toyota's Baja, Mexico plant, which is where the current gen Taco is assembled. Seeing as Toyota is always dead last to market with advancements and technology and performance, I highly doubt there will be a 450HP Tundra any time, ever. Nothing like wasting your American paycheck on a Japanese engineered, Mexican built Toyota.

Ford is already developing their all-new 2021 F-150 with a Hybrid option as well as a full Battery Electric Vehicle (BEV) version; never mind the next gen Raptor. Ford has spent tens of billions on new model R&D while Toyota is still using drum brakes, c-channel frames, mechanical/cable operated proportioning valves, and infotainment systems that do not even support CarPlay or Android Auto. Toyota survives on an outdated 30 year old reputation alone; their products are all worst in class.

Last edited:

BaseRaptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All Tacoma production will be moving to Mexico soon. The Texas plant will only assemble the Tundra and Sequoia models.

traxem

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure how these types of rumors continue to promulgate, but I can only guess they originate with the people who buy a worst-in-class pickup and need an excuse as to why they decided to buy one for the same price as a best in class pickup.

Toyota underestimated the truck market when they debuted the newest - and current - Tundra in 2007, just as they did with the 2000 Tundra, which was nothing more than a weak F-150 ripoff. With their 2007 launch, they had all intentions of *finally* sweeping up and claiming majority market share the same way that a 1997 Camry did against a 1997 Taurus. They got it all wrong again, and failed. Their relied on their "i-force" V8 and oversize door handles and stereo knobs to steal market share, all while vastly underestimating the manufacturers in the country that invented the pickup. The Japanese do not understand American trucks buyers or their needs, as full-size trucks do not, and have never, existed in japan.

The 2007 Tundra debuted looking like a beached walrus, and immediately earned a reputation for a paper mache tailgate that would collapse with the load of a motorcycle or 4 wheeler and camshafts that would snap in half and destroy the engine. Toyota tried to save face with the camshafts claiming to the press that it was an "early production issue" that was isolated and resolved, but the other failures continued and still affect 2020 models to this day.

Unlike American engineering, Toyota's "i-force" 4.6/5.7 uses girdles to hold the camshafts to the cylinder heads, which are sealed with RTV in typical japanese fashion. They do not believe in gaskets or lock-tite. They're a nightmare to service. The 2020's are still experiencing the same issue:

https://www.tundras.com/threads/cam-shaft-tower-seal-leaking-please-read.20102/page-3

My family mostly buy Tundras and they’re loyal to it despite the drawbacks because of their ownership experience has been mostly problem free. Most people don’t look at how an engine is built; they just want it to work and not break. This is the first Ford I’ve owned. So far, it’s been great and problem free. Hopefully it will last 150,000 miles without any mechanical issue so I don’t have to hear it from my Tundra folks.