Issue Of Spark Knock Unsolved For Over 5 Months

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

firasjawad

Reaction score
I Usually get spark knocking at around 1600 rpm when I am cruising and the car shifts to 5th and you increase your acceleration slowly that it does not downshift. Please see the video i have i have recorded the rattle sound. I had the car since 2010 and installed the Whipple at around 2013. the car was great and no trouble in the states, but when i moved back to Saudi and brought the car i had this rattle sound increase by time. At first i thought it was a mad muffler i changed it but no luck. Ford Dealership told me to change the vct solenoid, replace Mass flow sensor, and put new spark plugs, but still no luck. I then changed the coils and spark plug wires and as you can see in the video still there. I was talking to a garage regarding the knock and he said maybe the fuel quality so he recommended to mix the gas from the station with 103 octane that reduced the knocking but still there. i am coming to think something is wrong with the fuel pump or internally in the engine. have any of you had this problem? your suggestions are appreciated

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Have you called Whipple?
Or are you running a Tune from somebody else?

Removing some Global spark may resolve your issue.
Also the octane over there is rated differently, I don't have time to look for you but I believe your 103 is like 95 to 96 US octane so your good to use all 103.

Last edited:

FordService

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I Usually get spark knocking at around 1600 rpm when I am cruising and the car shifts to 5th and you increase your acceleration slowly that it does not downshift. Please see the video i have i have recorded the rattle sound. I had the car since 2010 and installed the Whipple at around 2013. the car was great and no trouble in the states, but when i moved back to Saudi and brought the car i had this rattle sound increase by time. At first i thought it was a mad muffler i changed it but no luck. Ford Dealership told me to change the vct solenoid, replace Mass flow sensor, and put new spark plugs, but still no luck. I then changed the coils and spark plug wires and as you can see in the video still there. I was talking to a garage regarding the knock and he said maybe the fuel quality so he recommended to mix the gas from the station with 103 octane that reduced the knocking but still there...

Welcome to the forum, firasjawad. As a next step, you might want to give my colleagues at Ford Saudi Arabia a call. They can be reached at 800-844-3673. I know they'll want to do what they can to help.

Crystal

OP
OP
F

firasjawad

Reaction score
MTF >> the tune is by whipple and i have sent them several logs but they asked for a video an d just sent it yesterday and figured to put this post right after. they have been very helpful in trying to solve all the issues.

yes you are right it is rated differently. for instance 98 is 93 in the US. I put 95 the highest in saudi which is 91 the US and which whipple made the tune based on

Crystal >> thanks

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
OK, I know they'll get it done, may take a few more data logs. There are just making sure your safe.

Heat will cause this also.
Does it ping on a cool morning?
What HE did you go for?

OP
OP
F

firasjawad

Reaction score
they replied saying that cant be spark knock since it is this low in rpm and the engine is still alive. they are asking to check if anything is loose under the hood? i am sure everything is in place.

its the same sound any time you drive, but on somdays you can hear it louder. sometimes even louder at night.

i have the HE stage 1 from whipple

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've listened to the video several times, I cannot hear any kind of noise to me its hard to say there is knocking or pinging

Can you try power breaking it a little with the hood open and take a video, or it only makes noise when moving?

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

firasjawad

Reaction score
you can hear it at 0:06 to 0:11 seconds and 0:19 to 0:24 seconds. it more like a rattle. no it only shows in the 5th and 6th gear when moving.