Is it just me? or Does anyone think the Brakes suck..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have have the R1 Concepts kit from FreedomMotorsports and its definatly an upgrade and also eliminated that annoying squeaking when backing up.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are cheaper kits, but just that, cheaper kits. They will not last as long, do not offer the same benefits and have no long term warranty against cracking, warping, etc. IF you want to go cheap on the brake upgrades, then Powerstop, Stoptech and others are right, but if you want the absolute best upgrade available that has been tested in some of the most punishing conditions available for a Raptor by those that run their Raptors harder than most while also having a supporting forum vendor here to help no matter what, then the R1Concepts Premier series brake package I recommend is the package you want/need.

Raven13

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Those are cheaper kits, but just that, cheaper kits. They will not last as long, do not offer the same benefits and have no long term warranty against cracking, warping, etc. IF you want to go cheap on the brake upgrades, then Powerstop, Stoptech and others are right, but if you want the absolute best upgrade available that has been tested in some of the most punishing conditions available for a Raptor by those that run their Raptors harder than most while also having a supporting forum vendor here to help no matter what, then the R1Concepts Premier series brake package I recommend is the package you want/need.
Could not agree more!!!

DrumReaper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
While I do offer military discounts, my current 20% discount is as low as I can take it at the moment. That is the lowest discount of the year and only comes around about 3 times a year. The next 20% discounts will be Memorial Day and Labor Day

Thanks. I'll keep those dates in mind. I just don't have my truck yet.

D

Deleted member 12951

Yep. A year ago I went cheap and got the Brake Performance kit because I didn't think it would be that much difference. After the install, it seemed the brakes were not any better and actually seemed worse. So I changed the brake fluid, no help. Been driving around since and hate it. Squeals all the time and not that great of stopping. I will be switching out to R1 Concepts soon. Nothing but great reviews and never heard a single complaint.

Wassy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the R1 Concepts brakes from freedom. They are absolutely an improvement over stock.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

How much of an improvement? 10%, 50%? Can you tell us the differences you feel in the pedal and how it reacts differently?

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Before throw money at the “problem”, how exactly do the brakes suck?

not enough initial bite?
brake fade after repeated high speed stops?
Just don’t stop fast enough?
all of these?
something else?

There zero room to up the size of the front rotors, you could maybe go to better pad materials for initial bite and possibly some better stopping distance at the expense of the longevity of the current stock rotors.

A matched set of rotors and pads -should- net you better initial bite and stopping, as well as at least some better resistance to fade, all other things being ok.

Chris@FreedomMotorsports

FRF Gofur
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much of an improvement? 10%, 50%? Can you tell us the differences you feel in the pedal and how it reacts differently?

The biggest difference is in emergency stopping, downhill grades, etc. For example, the emergency stop when traffic in front of you comes to a halt all at once and with stock brakes you literally have to turn the wheel to one side to evade the vehicle in front of you due to brake fade and the truck not stopping fast enough. That is 99% cured. Downhill grades: I live in the mountains and with stock brakes there are many hills around me (ie: highway 52 southbound headed into NC) where the stock brake fade is ridiculous when they get warm. Offroading: when you are hot on the gas and come up to a turn and have to get on the brakes hard, but the stock brakes leave you bypassing the turn and you wind up off trail.

For the average person that is normally very easy on their brakes, the difference in "feel" in daily driving is minimal with minimal brake pedal. But the times when you need them the most or if you are the type (like my wife) who waits to slow down for a stop until the very last second, etc. The difference is phenomenal.

It is not just "marketing hype". I have thoroughly tested the same brake package over the years in 1/2, 3/4 and 1 ton gas and diesel pickups. Most notably my diesel pickups of the past that I hauled extremely heavy farm goods on gooseneck trailers. Not only was I able to actually stop with a load (Christmas tree loads with my gooseneck and Dmax pickups averaged between 30-35Klbs total gross combined weight) the R1 Premier series package I recommend for Raptor owners also outlasted everything else out there, up to and including Stoptech, EBC, Hawk, Powerstop, etc. I tried them all and none of them offered the same performance and longevity of this kit.

When @RDFTS says never a complaint, I have been a dealer for R1 since late 2009 and I have literally never had a negative complaint about the quality of the products. I have had about three warranty replacements, but they were all shipping damage to rotors, not from lack of quality or rotors cracking or warping, etc.

Here are a couple of pics for attention so to speak

th100_0424-1.jpg
IMG00197.jpg
th100_1483.jpg

Here is an image from a Cat Scale ticket I have from back when I was hauling. This was actually kind of a light load too.
Ticket-1.jpg

Carbon8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ordered.

Did a road trip a couple days ago and really started to notice how bad OE is. Just sucks I have a 2500 mile drive this week and these wont be here before I leave.