Im that guy (Prospective Owner)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RookieRaptor

Reaction score
Sorry, I will be the next guy to post about buying a used gen 2. I feel I've done my research (many thanks here) and am getting close to pulling the trigger. Looking for Gen 2, newer the better mostly looks like 19'/20' based on prices I see, and from what I've read, the newer the better as it relates to the usual gen 2 raptor issues. My wishes:
  • 19'/20' Crew Cab
  • 802A Package
  • Under 50K Millage (Looking for the Premium ESP From Zeigler)
  • Maintenance records/etc
  • Will not be my daily but won't be a weekend-only ride for me.
  • North Carolina based
The market seems to have improved (with rates going the other way) and my completely unscientific research says I can get one around the $55K - $60K mark. Am I way off?

Again, thanks in advance for any insight/guidance. Really looking forward to having one of these in the garage. Love the looks of the truck!

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Welcome to FRF, #ThatGuy

You should easily be able to beat 55-60k for a stock-ish truck. AVOID lifted trucks, and if an ESP is a possibility, make sure the seller checks to ensure that a tune has not been installed. Even if you didn’t do it, the tune could compromise the powertrain components warranty, depending on what fails.

IF you can find a truck with no twin panel moonroof:
STOP what you are doing and immediately negotiate to secure this unicorn truck. Even if you have to go down to the crossroads and make a deal with the Devil. I’d be willing to bet there are probably less than 1k from each model year without the moonroof. The tracks are prone to breakage if the seals to the glass are not maintained properly, which is documented only in internet lore and it’s a rather pricey fix.

if you can only find a moonroof equipped truck, it’s not a deal breaker, just make sure that you open / close it at the seller’s BEFORE any paperwork. Lube properly with Ford’s pricey “Krytox” grease, and open to the vent position FIRST, close, THEN move the glass to the rear.

Prepare to be underwhelmed by the stereo. It’s about a 2800-3500 fix depending on your tastes and unfortunately, the B&O doesn’t lend itself to a step by step upgrade.

Tires are notoriously hard to balance on the Rap. Make sure you get a good test drive.

Verify all the drive modes and transfer case settings function, and also, while in 2hi, try to get some windows down, heavy but part throttle acceleration. listen for a clicking noise, knocking noise, etc. The front hub IWE system may need to be looked at if you hear this. quick verification: switch to 4a and repeat the test. if the noise goes away, leave it in 4a and have the IWE system inspected.

The clock is ticking. We’ll give you 2 weeks to produce Raptor pictures, or you will be branded a prius driving road menace, with an appropriate ride picture selected for you.

#MaybeOneLessprius

OP
OP
R

RookieRaptor

Reaction score
@smurfslayer thanks for the reply. I want the truck to be as stock as possible, 1 for the ESP and 2 because it looks great as is.
I've kind of given up on the moonroof, I don't hate it, I don't love it, and I've certainly read the issues with them. Will certainly give it the test you mentioned.
The interesting part of my purchase adventure will be that I'm looking all over, I've had a good experience with some of these inspection services that visit the dealer but have never used them to test drive (not even sure they will). I'll fly out to get it and drive back but at that point, I'm pretty much committed. Not opposed to getting a return flight if I find some of these items you noted but man that would be an expensive day trip. Again, thanks for the feed back.

SDB666

Reaction score
I don't have any real advice other than good luck and I'm sure you'll love it.

Post up pics when you get it. Where in NC are you?

hossler

Reaction score
Nice op. I'm in the market too. My budget is 60k as well. I'm looking for a certified pre-owned. Which narrows the search down. But the added 100k mile warranty eases my mind with the cam phaser issues.

Badgertits

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Gotta always remember to pop the sunroof into the vent position before fully opening the first time of the day or after it’s been sitting for a bit, I’m 99% sure that’s where most of the problems start, the 2 panels get stuck together after sitting & when the whole panel pulls to drop down they stick & stuff breaks/gets misaligned. Popping to vent first is a smaller movement & in the opposite direction for some reason seems to be much less restrictive going that way after sitting than the other way around

My 2018 had pano roof & id clean the stripping/panels/tracks & lube weatherstripping w/ krytox every 4-6 months & had no issues on it for 45k miles til it got totaled

That being said? My replacement 2020 has no panoroof & im not missing it

emerald_nomad - RLTW

Reaction score
Gotta always remember to pop the sunroof into the vent position before fully opening the first time of the day or after it’s been sitting for a bit, ....
This!!! I can't stress that enough. After having to rebuild one myself, I want to make sure no one has to go through the "divorce-like hell" I had to go through rebuilding one of these...