I like MFT! Why all the hate?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfelicia

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted I have only had my '13 for two weeks, but so far I really like MyFord Touch. I was terrified that I made a mistake ordering it after reading all of the horror stories, here, so I'm starting this thread to let those waiting for their truck to be built that they shouldn't necessarily be afraid.

- MFT has never gotten stuck or crashed (yet - knock wood)
- My iPhone 5 works flawlessly with it (once I enabled BT notifications on my phone to allow texts)
- Navigation is nicely done, IMO. I like that you get a simple tone when you reach a turn instead of the instruction repeated a million times. e.g. It'll say something like "In 1/4 mile, take exit 31, on right." Then when you get to the exit you just get a nice reminder tone instead of the whole sentence re-read to you.
- I have had Sirius since before Howard, and love the built-in support with MFT.

I rarely use the USB connection for my phone. Unless I need a charge, I find BT to be simpler. Saying "Bluetooth Stereo" will connect my music.

Of course there are some minor annoyances. For example, I wish I could say "Bluetooth play Metallica," but that isn't supported on iPhone. All in all, though, I really like what MFT does. (I would NEVER want to give up the tactile control knobs, though. In practice I set climate and volume via the knobs, exclusively.) It's also retarded that the passenger can't fiddle with Nav while in motion... luckily there is a Nav-TV group buy in the works, though.

Anyhow, I don't doubt there are people having real issues with their MFT. I just wanted to let the waiters know that they aren't necessarily in for a bad time. (I wonder if only earlier models that got upgraded to new firmware are flaky? Microsoft is notoriously horrible when it comes to upgrades... I don't think I'll be accepting any updates on my system unless it addresses a specific issue that I am having, and right now I'm not having any.)

Would I rather have iOS or Android builtin to the truck? Hell yeah, I would. That said, my MFT is working as designed, and I like it.

jackrook

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Mine froze for like 4 minutes yesterday on the freeway. Not the first time it happened

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

Zman12

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Granted I have only had my '13 for two weeks, but so far I really like MyFord Touch. I was terrified that I made a mistake ordering it after reading all of the horror stories, here, so I'm starting this thread to let those waiting for their truck to be built that they shouldn't necessarily be afraid.

- MFT has never gotten stuck or crashed (yet - knock wood)
- My iPhone 5 works flawlessly with it (once I enabled BT notifications on my phone to allow texts)
- Navigation is nicely done, IMO. I like that you get a simple tone when you reach a turn instead of the instruction repeated a million times. e.g. It'll say something like "In 1/4 mile, take exit 31, on right." Then when you get to the exit you just get a nice reminder tone instead of the whole sentence re-read to you.
- I have had Sirius since before Howard, and love the built-in support with MFT.

I rarely use the USB connection for my phone. Unless I need a charge, I find BT to be simpler. Saying "Bluetooth Stereo" will connect my music.

Of course there are some minor annoyances. For example, I wish I could say "Bluetooth play Metallica," but that isn't supported on iPhone. All in all, though, I really like what MFT does. (I would NEVER want to give up the tactile control knobs, though. In practice I set climate and volume via the knobs, exclusively.) It's also retarded that the passenger can't fiddle with Nav while in motion... luckily there is a Nav-TV group buy in the works, though.

Anyhow, I don't doubt there are people having real issues with their MFT. I just wanted to let the waiters know that they aren't necessarily in for a bad time. (I wonder if only earlier models that got upgraded to new firmware are flaky? Microsoft is notoriously horrible when it comes to upgrades... I don't think I'll be accepting any updates on my system unless it addresses a specific issue that I am having, and right now I'm not having any.)

Would I rather have iOS or Android builtin to the truck? Hell yeah, I would. That said, my MFT is working as designed, and I like it.

Thank you for the reassurance, I to have been second guessing my decision. But I guess no choice if I wanted HID lights anyway!

oxfordraptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just wait you'll see it. Random little freezes, no album artwork sometimes, random reboots, shows previous song instead of current, etc. Minor things but overall it works well.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
I had one in my Focus and it would go black all the time. My sister also has a Focus and she has had the screen black for over a week with no radio. Tool it to Ford and 2 min later it went black again. They said the only think to do for the time being is to disconnect the battery every time. Ford doesn't have a fix for the problem yet.

Westside Offroad Group

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I'm at 4 months with it and its been legit

Haters are just gonna hate, especially those with the poverty old nav screens

Captain Awesome

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I've had mine 9 months now and only some minor issues nothing major. twice the bluetooth froze and did want to hook up to the phone but a simple disconnect of the battery fixed that. over all it's be alright for what it is.

RaptorSteve

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I really liked it at first, too. Then after this last "upgrade" the thing is flaky as hell. I need to take it to the dealership I guess.

Current issues:

• Slow to respond after pressing the steering wheel button to say a command
  • Slow to respond after saying the command
  • I'll say "Sirius 100" and it will say "Tuning to channel one hundred" but it tunes to some random FM channel like 87.9
  • Freezes after playing a certain ablum/artist and using the arrow keys on the steering wheel to go to the next song

I think there's more but that's all I can remember right now. I'm not real thrilled with it lately.