How do you put your truck in park?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Well I guess when you do something wrong for many years you get good at it.

I learned something valuable at the Bronco Offroadeo. How to park a vehicle with an auto transmission.

Procedure:
-press the brake to come to a stop
-engage the parking brake
-take foot off of btake
-put transmission in N
-then put in P

I’m doing the from now on. Be kind to your tranny.

pat247

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I learned something valuable at the Bronco Offroadeo. How to park a vehicle with an auto transmission.

Procedure:
-take foot off of btake
-put transmission in N
-then put in P

Good advice, it is very important to set the parking brake before putting into park when on an incline. If you ever have trouble getting the shifter out of the park position this is the reason. The parking pal can break off and let the vehicle roll, not real common but does happen more than one would think. I never thought of shifting into neutral first then into park but that makes a lot of sense.

OP
OP
JohnyPython

JohnyPython

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Good advice, it is very important to set the parking brake before putting into park when on an incline. If you ever have trouble getting the shifter out of the park position this is the reason. The parking pal can break off and let the vehicle roll, not real common but does happen more than one would think. I never thought of shifting into neutral first then into park but that makes a lot of sense.
They said to use this parking procedure all the time even flat surfaces. Might be a bit ocd but saves the parking pawl from getting sheared off.

Could wear out electric parking brakes but keep cable style from seizing.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score

Procedure:
-take foot off of btake
-put transmission in N
-then put in P

So... For Jen Too Raptor at least, if you engage the parking brake while in gear, you get REALLY obnoxious chimes and dash warning. I’ve never tried going to N first, then brake, then park but nevertheless, it seems to me that Ford disagrees with Offroadeo.

Also, I’d caution our northern crew about the parking brake. in really low temperatures they will freeze in place. I’ve not had it happen --to me-- but a neighbor did.

CigarPundit

On the road to serfdom...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So... For Jen Too Raptor at least, if you engage the parking brake while in gear, you get REALLY obnoxious chimes and dash warning. I’ve never tried going to N first, then brake, then park but nevertheless, it seems to me that Ford disagrees with Offroadeo.

Also, I’d caution our northern crew about the parking brake. in really low temperatures they will freeze in place. I’ve not had it happen --to me-- but a neighbor did.
Didn’t know about the freezing thing.