HORRIBLE poping noise in 4 wheel.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok. I have taken the truck in the dealer already and had this looked at and ford came back and said "its normal to do that". Yeah, well that's ********. Even my guys at the dealership told me that it was jacked up but ford said it was normal so they couldn't do anything! My old f150 NEVER did this. I don't know if this is the clunk or not but every time i put it in 4 wheel or 4 wheel high and start going the truck will all the sudden WHACK!! I mean its HORRIBLE. It shakes the truck and does it over and over and over and over. just WHAM WHAM WHAM WHAM. I'm sorry but that's the only way to describe it. People outside said it literally sounds like a gun going off each time it does or like metal snapping together. I gotta get this shit fixed for sure, I can't stand it. The truck should be able to just dig into the ground without making some god awful sound while also shaking the entire truck, it makes me cringe each time.

Thanks for reading and hope some people can help me out on this. The "clunk" seems to be much quieter and I've listened to videos and it sounds nothing like whats going on.

-Calvin

OP
OP
CSmith

CSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Both. It will do it in sand. And on the pavement. More offroad than on though. and even way more when there some tension on the truck. You know its bad when you hate putting your truck in 4 wheel drive because its so horrible sounding.

Banned
Reaction score
well, dont use 4x4 when on pavement or any hard surface. only in loose terrain situations.

but since you say it does it in sand as well that leads me to believe its not as simple as its binding due to to much traction.

OP
OP
CSmith

CSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
6.2 This is happening more in sand than anything. So i'm not sure what's going on but its ridiculous. rsike, what do you mean? what is yours doing?

Allied Offroad

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do you have it locked when it does this? Where does the noise seem like its coming from? Front, rear? Does it happen in turns, or straights? What year do you have?

OP
OP
CSmith

CSmith

Full Access Member
Reaction score
truck is a 2012. It will do it going straight or turning, ive tried both. Noise seems to be coming from the back but it could be the front, its so loud and shakes the truck so much that i can't even tell honestly. Yes I have the rear diff locked but ive tried it unlocked as well and it still does it.

Banned
Reaction score
hmm, do you have a camera? maybe stick it under the truck and drive forward over it (not crushing it, lol) and watch the video to see if anything catches your eye as to where its coming from.

i dont know enough about raps to be much more help than that.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDBRUIN