Help.... AT or MT tires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm due for some tires very soon and I'm having a tough time trying to decide between sticking with an MT or switching to a AT.
I drive mostly on street with lots of highway driving but do hit the dirt quite often. Its not hard core baja ripping but like to play. So want a street friendly with great offroad ability tire.
Good sidewall protection, not to loud on pavement, looks good, great on street/highway, great in dirt. Not in the rain much and even less in the snow. I split time between Texas and SoCal.
I think I've narrowed it down to these but open to other suggestions. Should I look at an RT/ hybrid tire to bridge the gap between AT and MT?
Falken Wildpeak At3w - great all around tire that lots of people love but just looks plain highway tire to me
Mickey Thompson Baja Boss At - great sidewall for AT, looks good, dont know many raptor running them, Heavy for AT at 80#
BFG KM3- currently running, was a good tire, looks great, got kinda loud with miles, had to rotate at 3-5k or would cup a bit
Yokohama Geolandar Mt G003- Looks very aggressive, said to be quite, great reviews online but not many raptors running them.
I know another tire thread. But thanks for the help FRF!!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I saw this thread I was hoping for a manual transmission build.
Haha!! I can see that now. Maybe I should edit that a bit. I had a couple MT in my day and still have one. For an offroad vehical it will never be an MT. Had a CJ7 that I built up and had a MT. I dont have 3 feet or a big enough foot to manipulate the brake and gas at same time. Never again!! I have a Honda Civic SI when I need some rowing.

HOLLYWOOD 1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the regular Toyo RT. Not as aggressive or heavy as the Toyo MT, and cheaper and quieter too. Wears better too. Works well in dirt, have about 6K Baja miles on them. I hear they’re not a good wet tire, but IDK, we don’t get much rain here in Tucson.

Last edited:

HORN HIGH ACES

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have looked at them and they look great. Was hard to find specs on them when I was looking. Like weights and sidewall ply.
Thanks!
Or the Falken Wildpeak RT. I also like the look of the Maxxis Razr AT, but haven't heard much feedback about them.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I run the regular Toyo RT. Not as aggressive or heavy as the Toyo MT, and cheaper and quieter too. Wears better too. Works well in dirt, have about 6K Baja miles on them. I hear their not a good wet tire, but IDK, we don’t get much rain here in Tucson.
I haven't looked much into the regular RT cause I had a friend who ran them and said he hated them. He swapped out to the KM3 after about 10k. Can't remember what or why he said he didn't like them but maybe I should look into them some more. Sounds like you have had great luck with them.
If and when you are going to replace them will you put on another set or switch to something else?
Thanks!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or the Falken Wildpeak RT. I also like the look of the Maxxis Razr AT, but haven't heard much feedback about them.
I do like the Wildpeak RT as well. Not much out there that I could find on them really.
I like Maxxis tires and ran them alot back in the day. My Dad still runs them and swears by them. The AT has a very shallow tread depth at like 15/32 compared to alot of other tires at 18-19. So I basically crossed it off due to that. Right or wrong

BBR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I recently put on some M/T Baja Legend EXP tires and am loving them after 3k miles.
So serious offroad but did well in the sand, dirt roads and NC clay mud that I come across frequently.
Quiet, great manners at high speeds and cornering, light, and expensive lol.