GEN 2 Headlight and bed light issue after Forscan changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MeFryRice

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I looked through some of the Forscan threads on here but did not find the answer to the issue I've had come up since I've made some changes Tuesday night.

For your knowledge, these are the changes I made using the Forscan app.

• Disable Auto Start/Stop.
  • Auto Fold Mirrors - Lincoln Style.
  • Global Window Open/Close
  • Disable Double Horn Honk
  • Disable Fake Engine Noise
  • Disable Doo-Doo-Doo on Startup

Now that you're aware of what I've done, these are the two issues I've noticed since making these changes.

As I'm pulling out of my driveway this morning on my way to work, I noticed the bed lights were on. I pulled over and try to turn them off with the switch located in the bed. They would not turn off. At this time, I noticed the bed light in the third brake light was also on so I pressed the switch inside the cabin but like the other bed lights, this light would not turn off. I even pressed and held the button but same results. It was too early for me to be diving into this so I looked like a ******* on my way to work this morning.

As I'm pulling into our parking deck at work, I notice the passenger side low-beam is not working. WTF. I first tried turning the headlghts on/off but the low-beam never turned on. The amber function turned on so I know there is power at the headlight. When I lock the truck, I noticed the driver side headlight would start to dim but it wasn't in a linear sequence.

I spent a few minutes looking over the truck before leaving work this afternoon. This is what I have learned so far during my quick initial diagnosis.

The bed lights (two in the bed and one in the third brake light) stay on when the truck is in accessory mode or running.

If I start the truck with the headlight switch in Auto mode, the passenger side headlight will not turn on. I was able to get the passenger side headlight to turn on if I have the headlight switch turned to the off position before starting the truck. Once the truck is started, I can then turn the switch to ON and the headlight will turn on. I was relieved to see the headlight turn on but now I have to figure out why it won't turn on if the headlight switch is in the Auto mode when I start the truck. After shutting off the truck, the passenger side headlight turns off immediately however, the driver side slowly dims but in a abrupt manner.

Based on the changes I've made, I don't see how any of them would cause these new issues but I guess anything is possible. I'm going to start by reverting some of the modules back to the original file but not sure which one(s) I should do. I assume all of them?

I'll take a video tomorrow to demonstrate the issues.

Thank you for any feedback you can offer.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm a noob with the Forskin, I just did the Lincoln mirrors, 2 honk delete, parks as DRL's, and disabled remote gate opener and called it good. I was really nervous about running into something like you have, so I stopped there. I just did mine 2 weeks ago, seems perfect. I'm curious what the knowledgeable guys recommend, hopefully they can help you.

After reading some of FTO's posts, I was really surprised to learn how deeply intertwined the electronic modules are.

gopher870

Reaction score
I've used forscan multiple times with success. At this point, I would recommend re-installing the factory files that you hopefully backed up before you made any changes.

Hopefully, this will correct any problems that you're having.

Then make one Forscan change at a time. Make sure it's working, then move on. I know this will take longer, and can be frustrating slow, but it may help you narrow down your problem.

Good luck.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Any other mods; like aux lights ? have you tapped power anywhere on the truck and if so, where / what circuit?

these things sound pretty far apart but yeah, +2 @gopher870 . Roll back to stock, add one mod at a time. I’m not a fan of the stop start disable via forscan because it disables the battery management system. Get a plug in doodad for it instead.

I have the Lincoln fold mirrors, disable chimes (doo doo doo, and any other I could find), disable engine noise, heat / cooled seats and steering wheel on sync home screen.

I don’t have global windows close or start stop disable, my Rap is a 2017.

Good luck.

FordTechOne

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did you have a battery charger on the truck while performing the programming? It’s critical that voltage remains stable. It sounds like the BCM cal may have become corrupt.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any other mods; like aux lights ? have you tapped power anywhere on the truck and if so, where / what circuit?

these things sound pretty far apart but yeah, +2 @gopher870 . Roll back to stock, add one mod at a time. I’m not a fan of the stop start disable via forscan because it disables the battery management system. Get a plug in doodad for it instead.

I have the Lincoln fold mirrors, disable chimes (doo doo doo, and any other I could find), disable engine noise, heat / cooled seats and steering wheel on sync home screen.

I don’t have global windows close or start stop disable, my Rap is a 2017.

Good luck.

Doesn't the fake engine noise also tie in with active noise cancelation? I thought I had read that a few guys turned it back on, because of that.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Doesn't the fake engine noise also tie in with active noise cancelation? I thought I had read that a few guys turned it back on, because of that.

I believe the answer to be yes. There was a lot of discussion about it at one point, you might trip over it searching for “ANC” if I recall correctly. It’s binary and tied together so if you suppress fake engine noise, you lose noise cancelling.

it’s not nothing. There is a youtube video of a guy who turned it off and I thought it sounded worse in the youtube video, but the sound is more natural without fake engine noise and I liked it better without, but only a slight amount. it’s not worth the effort to reenable it. While the sound is a little different with it turned off, without ANC you pick up very slight noises in the cabin that you didn’t before. change rattling in the center console tray, a squeak here, a rattle there, the muffled cries for help from an abducte^^ GUEST... on the back seat floor, moon roof rattle, etc.

You really have to try to appreciate this. stereo off ( less risk of fire that way for SOME of us :-D ) blower motor off, steady throttle, windows up. Almost every other scenario, you won’t be able to tell.

Oldfart

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I believe the answer to be yes. There was a lot of discussion about it at one point, you might trip over it searching for “ANC” if I recall correctly. It’s binary and tied together so if you suppress fake engine noise, you lose noise cancelling.

it’s not nothing. There is a youtube video of a guy who turned it off and I thought it sounded worse in the youtube video, but the sound is more natural without fake engine noise and I liked it better without, but only a slight amount. it’s not worth the effort to reenable it. While the sound is a little different with it turned off, without ANC you pick up very slight noises in the cabin that you didn’t before. change rattling in the center console tray, a squeak here, a rattle there, the muffled cries for help from an abducte^^ GUEST... on the back seat floor, moon roof rattle, etc.

You really have to try to appreciate this. stereo off ( less risk of fire that way for SOME of us :-D ) blower motor off, steady throttle, windows up. Almost every other scenario, you won’t be able to tell.

Thanks, I won't bother with that one then. I hate to have a front seat passenger all of a sudden realize I have a "date" tied up in the bed for recreational use whenever I feel a little frisky!

Tied-Up-Girl-Truck-Tailgate-Wrap-Vinyl-Graphic.jpg

Last edited: