Have any of you come FROM or gone TO a Dodge 2500 with Cummins Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTRazz

Reaction score
Not even considering getting rid of my Raptor, but the only pickup to really pique my interest is the new Nissan diesel. Ugly as all get out, but I really like the idea of melding the half and three-quarter worlds. No word on how they will perform/last over a lot of miles though...

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you need the 3/4 ton...
Diesel vs. Gas is a tough one, but I believe Ford has come pretty damn close with the 3.5L Ecoboost.
The Eco is incredible for a V6. The torque it has at the low RPM makes it behave more like a diesel, only a lot quieter.
I looked very closely at getting a diesel, knew we we're getting a 28'+ travel trailer and wanted to have plenty of power to tow. Wife is really sensitive to diesel exhaust so ended with a F150 Lariat with the 3.5L V6. Drove the 6.2, 5.0 and 3.5L.
The 3.5L was just fun to drive and 'felt' more powerful. Took it out with a buddy that owns both a duramax and a powerstroke 3/4 ton and after he drove it he complained that because of the 3.5L his trucks will likely lose even more value due to the power and torque of the 3.5L along with the less maintenance costs.
When I tow my trailer with the 3.5L ~9,000lbs loaded, I pass numerous diesels going uphill. Long story short your probably better off keeping the Raptor, but since you are trying to compare gas vs. diesel figure I'd throw my 2 cents.

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Spend like 3-4 grand a pick up a beater. Put the miles on it and keep the truck.

CP RAPTOR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give my two cents as I took a similar deal just a month ago.

I was buying parts for my raptor when I was bombarded by salesmen trying to acquire my truck. I originally turned them down but then got thinking.

A) my raptor will never be worth as much as it is right now, it's a sellers market.

B) it had 70k on the odometer and was a good truck.

C) in my neck of the woods it was all slow muddy rocky boring trails, I had to travel to get it in raptor country, like days.

D) I've always liked diesel trucks as I grew up having them.

I was offered almost as much as I paid for it three years prior and given the opportunity to get, in my opinion a nicer truck for the same money so I jumped on it.

I love my new truck, it's not an offroad monster, it is a street queen but my raptor was also but a few times a year. It's easier on fuel and tows my toys better, the interior is nicer and quieter, it even rides as good as my raptor on the road.

This being said I still have days I miss the raptor. It was a good truck that was different going down the road. If you get to use your raptor how YOU like, I say keep it.

There is nothing like the raptor. It sparks a mod addiction and constantly gets better looking when you mod it, other trucks start to look junked up. Everyone is asking when I'm going to put all my lights on this truck, when I'm going to swap bumpers etc, never. It's a pretty truck so that is saving me some money also.

This is simply my opinion and what assisted in my decision. I love(d) my raptor but this truck is better suited to my every day lifestyle and such. It was a similar situation. I am in a 3/4 ton diesel, not a cummins though.