Have any of you come FROM or gone TO a Dodge 2500 with Cummins Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This may be a long shot, but have any of you folks switched either TO or FROM a Dodge 2500 Cummins? If so, and I realize they are two totally different animals, how would you rate the two against each other in terms of being a daily driver, good for road trips, etc.

I've had my 2011 since it was brand new. I picked it up with 3 miles on the odometer. It hasn't given us an ounce of trouble and has served us well. But she's racked up the miles and we're rapidly approaching 70,000. Right now used Raptors even with higher miles like mine are bringing way more resale dollars than they should thanks to Ford taking a hiatus between 2014 and the new 2017 model. So it's tempting to cash in on the rare opportunity to have driven a great truck and lost very little "equity".

There's a temptation to wait for the 2017 model to land and just trade up, but I am hesitant to be a first-year adopter of anything entirely new like that. I'd really rather wait and see how the new trucks shake out and whether Ford comes back in 2018 and screws all of the 2017 buyers by releasing a V8 engine or some other drastic improvements like they did between 2010 (5.4L Extended-cab only) and 2011 (6.2L with Crew Cab option). I am inclined to play it safe and sit on the sidelines for 2017 and see how it all goes.

The RAM 2500 Cummins is really the only thing that catches my eye right now and they hold their value well in my part of the country. I wouldn't buy new but I would buy a <20,000 mile 2015 used and maybe flip it in two years for the second year of the new Raptor.

Of course I could just keep the 2011 Raptor and drive it until the second year of the new Raptor becomes available, but damn the miles are really going to pile up and kill the resale value.

Am I nuts? Thoughts? Anyone gone through similar thought processes lately?

juice

Reaction score
I had a 3500 DRW. They are mean trucks but have no capability for off reading and the cummins is so heavy you'll chew threw ball joints and tires every 30k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoronaRaptor

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Keep the raptor! What's 70,000 k? I have over 80k on my '10 6.2 and she purrs like day one. Your raptor will easily last. If you don't like raptor's anymore then sell and cash in, if you love your raptor then keep it and trade it in when the time is right. Dodge is having lots of issues with their trucks right now, major recalls!

Madcowranch

Genetically Modified
Reaction score
Do you need a 3/4 ton pickup? You will pay a penalty in ride comfort over a half ton. We bought a Ram 1500 with the 5.7 about a year ago and love it. Very comfortable to take road trips in. Decent highway mpg but fuel mileage goes to shit in stop and go. Wouldn't be my first choice for hauling heavy loads on a regular basis- not much better than the Raptor in that regard.

Osprey

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't speak for the diesel aspect, but I traded in a 2013 Ram 1500 for my 2014 Raptor and I do know that the Ram interior was much nicer than what was available on the F150 at the time (I haven't been in the new F series truck but I hear they improved the interior).
Chrysler's Uconnect, especially the 8.4", is far superior to the infotainment system in the Raptor.

I love my Raptor but I give Ram lots of credit for the comfort and quality of the interior materials. That said, there were electrical glitches. Many of us had our infotainment systems bricked by a software update and there was this weird thing going around where the dash lights wouldn't turn off and you'd come out of the house to a dead battery. Software updates fixed all this for me so two model years later I'd hope the issues no longer pop up.

ThatGuy88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Being a diesel tech and parts salesman, the ***-a-part will have you kicking your self in the ass everyday for getting rid of the raptor. the suspension's on those things are absolute trash, as juice stated enjoy doing ball joints every year along with tie rods, panhard bar and a death wobble that never goes away. the motors are notorious for injection pumps and dropped injector tips leading to blown motors.

D

Deleted member 17706

Yea man I would keep the Rap! If you buy a used Ram diesel and rack up miles on it. The value of your raptor would probably be close for what you would get on the Ram. Having a truck as a second owner while having high mileage, will result in you losing more money then what you think. By the time you spend the money on the upgrade to get into the Ram, I would personally save the money and wait for the 18 or 19 Rap. Miles on the Raptors really don't mean anything. There is a bunch of guys with 200,000 plus.

Also I've looked at Ram's before and yes the interior is nicer with the longhorn models, but at the end of the day it's still Chrysler! I know the Cummings are good diesels, but Chrysler always has recalls and electrical issues. Remember all the buy backs they've done in 2015???

I think it's clear the Rap is more reliable then the Ram.

juice

Reaction score
Being a diesel tech and parts salesman, the ***-a-part will have you kicking your self in the ass everyday for getting rid of the raptor. the suspension's on those things are absolute trash, as juice stated enjoy doing ball joints every year along with tie rods, panhard bar and a death wobble that never goes away. the motors are notorious for injection pumps and dropped injector tips leading to blown motors.

I had two complete replacements of various fuel systems totaling over 20k dealer price covered under warranty; forgot about those till your post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We are on our second Ford F250 diesel. Looked at the Dodges, but went with the Ford. Glad we did. First 250, a 2008, went 250,000 miles before we traded it, and only did that because we wanted the new 6.7! The 2008 got rolled at about 30,000 miles. $34,500 rebuild. Lasted another 220,000 miles with zero issues of any kind.

The 2013 has about 125,000 miles on it. Zero issues to date. Change the oil and do proper maintenance and these things will run a long time.

I have talked to some Dodge owners, and they all said that at around 100k miles, things started going wrong - injectors, pumps, etc. I'm not saying that they all will, though. I've heard that the Cummins is a strong power plant. I did talk to a service guy at the local dealer and he said that they do a lot of suspension work on the Dodges. More that any other brand.....

Good luck with your decision!!!

OP
OP
Double Tap

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, all. I don't think we will pursue a 2500 Cummins but I am keeping my options open otherwise. It's going to take something special to get me away from our Raptor so the bar is set pretty high.