Have any of you come FROM or gone TO a Dodge 2500 with Cummins Diesel?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skyscraper

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Funny you ask, I own an 08 dodge 6.7 and a 14 raptor. Two beasts in their own class. My diesel is used for work, I have 228k miles on it, solid truck. The raptor is my weekend grocery getter. Very happy with both.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter in the mail from the dealership I bought my Raptor from....basically they want to buy it back "you may be in an excellent equity position...may be able to upgrade and lower your payment...only a limited number of customers will qualify to receive this notice..."

Not interested!

KODIAK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got a letter in the mail from the dealership I bought my Raptor from....basically they want to buy it back "you may be in an excellent equity position...may be able to upgrade and lower your payment...only a limited number of customers will qualify to receive this notice..."

Not interested!

I still get letters from the dealership about a truck I haven't owned in three years. Real personal.

MagicMtnDan

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Get a Chevy Colorado with the new diesel.

If you're thinking of getting rid of the Raptor for a Dodge Cummins you may as well do it right. :baby:

OP
OP
Double Tap

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So by way of an update...

While out looking at other vehicles, we had a dealership make an initial offer that was good enough to catch our attention. We worked up from there and I ultimately ended up getting $5K less for my truck on trade than I paid for it new back in 2011. Let that sink in a moment. I drove it for four years for $1250 per year.

What we ended up buying isn't a truck. I was having a hard time reconciling getting rid of what is undoubtedly the most iconic truck on the road for another truck. How do you go UP from a Raptor and still stay in a truck? It's hard to unless you're looking for a loaded Diesel for hauling or some other purpose and even then not many people point and stare and say "Oh my God! Look! It's a Dodge 2500! That is so bad ass!" I've just had iconic vehicles of one sort or another for far too long to decide to go with something sedate.

The dealership we worked with had a Dodge Challenger Hellcat in the showroom that they would NOT sell us (earmarked for the dealership's owner's friend) so we stepped back and punted.

I ended up with a slightly cheaper car that I can drive for a year or two and then come back to either the new Raptor or go crazy and do the Hellcat Charger. I need four doors. Got a kid.

What we ended up with is a Phantom Black 2015 Dodge Charger R/T Scat Pack -- which is the 392 Hemi powered next evolution of the Super Bee, and has been rated very highly by Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend as being THE one to buy if you're not going nuts with the Hellcat. The only difference between the Scat Pack and the SRT badged Charger are the wheels, magnetically adjustable shock absorbers, the steering wheel, and 15" brakes vs 14" brakes. That's it. Not worth the $10K difference.

She's pretty quick at 485HP and 475TQ and it gives me a break from having a truck while I decide what's next.

IMG_1972-L.jpg

IMG_1973-L.jpg

IMG_1983-L.jpg

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite a change, from a Off Road Beast to a Heavy Duty Towing beast to a passenger car...yes I know its a deluxe passenger car, but still its a car.

Glad to hear you got such a good deal. Did you get any feedback on exactly why they were willing to pay so much for your Raptor? Dealer's owner/owner's son/friend wanted one?

treypal

Lord of the Raptors
Reaction score
I've owned two 5.9 Cummins. First truck was an 06 and it was awesome, second an 05 that I used as a DD when I still had Raptor 1, hated it. I traded it for a 13 F350 with a powerstroke, and it makes my dodges look like priuses. I've driven several 6.7 cummins and would take my Powerstroke any day.

OP
OP
Double Tap

Double Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, quite a change, from a Off Road Beast to a Heavy Duty Towing beast to a passenger car...yes I know its a deluxe passenger car, but still its a car.

Glad to hear you got such a good deal. Did you get any feedback on exactly why they were willing to pay so much for your Raptor? Dealer's owner/owner's son/friend wanted one?

Yep you're right - it's a car. :D It actually helps that it's NOT a truck otherwise I'd just be comparing it all the time to the Raptor, which would have lead to seller's remorse. So far I'm really digging it though. The thing is just stupid fast and very comfortable.

I got as much as I did just because I pushed them to offer top dollar for it. Part of the process was working with a sales manager who was willing to do some reading on the Internet and learn what Raptors were going for.

They originally wanted to offer Meacham Auction value which is just stupidly low, so after walking on the deal and then being assigned a manager to work with, we got the value up to where it should have been. You're seeing private party sales of Raptors bringing more than I got so it was a fair deal in the end.

gwpfan

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stupid fast and comfortable is nice. Wife has a Lincoln MKT AWD with the 3.5L EcoBoost, it is the same. A lot of fun to drive and quiet. 120 mph on the Autobahn is a very pleasant drive with plenty of power to spare.