Gen 3 Towing Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Luminarida

Reaction score
Drove up from Houston to Memphis one night to pick up this ‘55 3100 . Lots of rear sag but aside from blinding everyone at night it towed fine.04AF10AE-A68C-4A4E-80AB-8B7005A11261.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Correct me if I’m wrong here, but it looks to clearly show that without a dist. hitch, it’s 500 tongue and 5,000 max towing.
You are correct. Numbers don't make sense.
But from what everyone is saying the truck tows fine the issue is the sag.
Well, hopefully, we get some airbag options soon.

Last edited:

AKSteve

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope, I'm reading the same thing. That poor truck was WAY overweight with that Airsteam and no weight distribution hitch.
My truck had a weight distributing hitch on it when towing the Airstream. It towed the RV just fine, but the rear ended sagged like crazy. That’s just how this truck is.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
My truck had a weight distributing hitch on it when towing the Airstream. It towed the RV just fine, but the rear ended sagged like crazy. That’s just how this truck is.

Oh good, then you're solid because I know those Airstreams are pretty heavy along with being amazing to look at, lol.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to towing and new to UTV’s. I ordered a Polaris Ranger Crew North Star which has a dry weight of 2500 pounds. I ordered a 14’ duel axel aluminum trailer and was told it should weigh less than 1200 pounds. I have a dog crate and gun vault in the bed of my 2021 37 with a combined weight of 400 pounds. my dogs, me, wife and luggage will be about 600 pounds. Will the Raptor tow and carry everything safely? I googled the crap out of this and my head hurts! Help will be much appreciated

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am new to towing and new to UTV’s. I ordered a Polaris Ranger Crew North Star which has a dry weight of 2500 pounds. I ordered a 14’ duel axel aluminum trailer and was told it should weigh less than 1200 pounds. I have a dog crate and gun vault in the bed of my 2021 37 with a combined weight of 400 pounds. my dogs, me, wife and luggage will be about 600 pounds. Will the Raptor tow and carry everything safely? I googled the crap out of this and my head hurts! Help will be much appreciated
My opinion is you won't have any issue pulling that as stated. To know if you're overloaded though, you need to look at the sticker on your driver door jam and see what your payload is. Then subtract the 1k from you and your add ons and that is what you have left for tongue weight on the trailer. Since you're towing 3700lbs and want at least 10% on the tongue you're probably going to be slightly over your payload rating. I'm sure plenty have went over that rating, especially with Raptors, but it's been mentioned before it could be a legal problem if you were involved in an accident. Hope that helps

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My opinion is you won't have any issue pulling that as stated. To know if you're overloaded though, you need to look at the sticker on your driver door jam and see what your payload is. Then subtract the 1k from you and your add ons and that is what you have left for tongue weight on the trailer. Since you're towing 3700lbs and want at least 10% on the tongue you're probably going to be slightly over your payload rating. I'm sure plenty have went over that rating, especially with Raptors, but it's been mentioned before it could be a legal problem if you were involved in an accident. Hope that helps
Thank you for the info, but I am totally confused! How do you determine 10% of tongue weight? Payload is 1305….sticker drivers door! This is what I don’t get, …..if I’m towing 3700 and payload is 1305……passengers and dogs, what makes it over weight? Say my actual payload, passengers, dogs camper shell, gun vault, luggage is 1100, trailer is 1200, UTV 3000, including fuel….the 90k truck cannot pull it…..safely? If you are correct, I am two shakes from getting rid of this POS.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the info, but I am totally confused! How do you determine 10% of tongue weight? Payload is 1305….sticker drivers door! This is what I don’t get, …..if I’m towing 3700 and payload is 1305……passengers and dogs, what makes it over weight? Say my actual payload, passengers, dogs camper shell, gun vault, luggage is 1100, trailer is 1200, UTV 3000, including fuel….the 90k truck cannot pull it…..safely? If you are correct, I am two shakes from getting rid of this POS.
So in your case 1305 minus the 1100lbs of passengers and gear you've added leave you with 205lbs. 205lbs x 10 (10% tongue weight) means you can tow roughly 2050lbs before you go over your trucks payload rating.

Now you're saying the trailer and UTV is 4200lbs. 10% of that is 420lbs. Subtract that from your 1305 and you have 885lbs for gear and passengers. The raptor is plenty capable of towing that load, but in your case you are eating up a lot of your payload before you even hook up a trailer