Gen 3 Towing Pics

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, but I guess I’m slower than most! You indicated I can tow 2050 pounds before I go over my payload rating, yet the trailer and UTV weigh approximately 4200 pounds and you wrote the Raptor is plenty capable of towing it. 4200 minus 2050 would put me 2150 pounds over weight, correct? I want to understand, but math was never my strong suit?? Bottomline, can I safely tow the UTV and trailer with the passenger and dogs previously stipulated?

RogueClimber

Agent Orange
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are thinking the whole weight of the trailer and load. Only the tongue weight is applied to your payload number as that is what is actually "pushing down" on your truck

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the explanation, but I guess I’m slower than most! You indicated I can tow 2050 pounds before I go over my payload rating, yet the trailer and UTV weigh approximately 4200 pounds and you wrote the Raptor is plenty capable of towing it. 4200 minus 2050 would put me 2150 pounds over weight, correct? I want to understand, but math was never my strong suit?? Bottomline, can I safely tow the UTV and trailer with the passenger and dogs previously stipulated?
Bottomline, you will be over your payload rating with your current setup. You will be over roughly 215lbs. Like mentioned in the post above, you're really only worried about tongue weight. Most 1/2 ton trucks will run out of payload before hitting any other towing limit. Highly optioned Raptors have some of the lowest payload ratings and it's why most recommend a different truck if you're trying to haul heavy or often.

If you didn't have 1100lbs of passengers and cargo as stated you would have no issues with that trailer and UTV. If it was easy to move weight out of the truck and onto the trailer that would also help as you would only be counting 10% of that weight.

I'm sure people here have towed way more overloaded then what you're asking, but going by the numbers you provided you are technically overloaded.

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I get it, the tongue weight of the trailer is counted as payload and as such, the actual payload of the truck would be over weight? Thank you for the explanation!

K9 EXPERT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
I use to work for the CHP, during which time, I handled a ton of collisions caused by vehicles towing a trailer outside the weight limits. Many caused fatalities and disabling injuries. After getting kicked by a former co-worker, slapped by my wife and spending hours on google, I decided to order an XLT WITH 13,000 pounds of towing ability. The MSRP on the XLT IS 66,245 I will trade my 2019 Raptor and with various rebates I will pay 11,505 out of pocket OTD. A very cheap price to pay for peace of mind!! The XLT uses regular gas, gets much better mileage and I still have a 2021 37, which I wish was a 35, but nothing is perfect. I truly appreciate all the feedback!