Gen 3 Software Update - Bricked Raptor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford should have figured this out to allow the progress of an update, and if at anytime a failure to roll it all back and go back to the last known working version.
Unfortunately things are not as easy as you think. Once a certain data set is corrupted it can interrupt communication on the CAN network honestly, as a tech I am not a fan of OTA for these reasons. My theory is Updates should only be applied with a wired connection to the vehicle.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately things are not as easy as you think. Once a certain data set is corrupted it can interrupt communication on the CAN network honestly, as a tech I am not a fan of OTA for these reasons. My theory is Updates should only be applied with a wired connection to the vehicle.
Good to know. Is the modem on it’s own fuse like gen 2?

mobilefordtechjosh

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good to know. Is the modem on its own fuse like gen 2?
It is and isn’t you can’t just remove the fuse to stop communication. It will cause a lot of other issues. Best thing I can suggest is find a way to block any outside signal from connecting to your vehicle and turn off all auto updates and do not connect to home WiFi. I tried to snap a screenshot to explain but Fords Dealership portals are not smartphone friendly.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is and isn’t you can’t just remove the fuse to stop communication. It will cause a lot of other issues. Best thing I can suggest is find a way to block any outside signal from connecting to your vehicle and turn off all auto updates and do not connect to home WiFi. I tried to snap a screenshot to explain but Fords Dealership portals are not smartphone friendly.
Gotcha. I pulled the fuse on my ‘20. Had to swap a three-legged one for a regular fuse. They were trying to make it a little more difficult. Plan B is to go after power to the modem.

sct

Reaction score
Hey All,

Looks like this has happened to others but I thought i'd share since this just happened to me this morning (12/22/23). Auto update tried to install last night and when i went to start up my truck this morning (NO JOY!!). Truck will not start and i can't get it out of Park (tried the secret lever under the steering wheel and that didn't work). Waiting for the second tow truck that will hopefully bring dollies to move the truck off of my driveway. This seems ridiculous to me, but i guess my only comment is to TURN OFF AUTO UPDATES...so you can wait and get some feedback from others before going through this nightmare.

Not sure what the deal is with the software but this should not make the truck non-functional. Super frustrating and thank goodness i wasn't camping (towing) or in the mountains.

FORD needs to think through this process.
Any update on this? Same thing happened to me and the dealer had me pull the SDI control module before attempting to install the 6.5.0 update.

OP
OP
velogil

velogil

Reaction score
Hey SCT...looking like the same thing here for me. I also have SDI e-clik...so i took back the stock Ford VDM and they plugged it in...i'll know in a few hours but it looks like that is the issue.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Any idea what the update was? If you aren’t sure you can send me your on and I can pull it up. Curious which one could be causing this. @sct @velogil

sct

Reaction score
Hey SCT...looking like the same thing here for me. I also have SDI e-clik...so i took back the stock Ford VDM and they plugged it in...i'll know in a few hours but it looks like that is the issue.
Any word from your dealer? My service tech told me there was a water incursion in the connection between the SDI module and the OEM wiring harness- he said a tea spoon of water came out when he unplugged the module. This doesn’t make a lot of sense to me as everything the SDI system was working just fine prior to the update, but we’ll see.