Gen 3 Raptor Squatting + Overlanding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nex

RIP CoronaRaptor
Reaction score
Geiser springs.

Give SVC a look for the other items. You can also check out RPG.

Bracamonte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is your build, and have had any issues?

Uptop Overland rack, and TuffStuff Alpha II tent. The rack is the lightest on the market at 36 lbs. The tent weighs 185.

I’m big on weight and balance. The shorter rack keeps the bottom of the tent below the roofline. This helps with mpg, aerodynamics, and noise. The footprint of the tent is within the dimensions of the bed of the truck.

F30F39E2-DEED-41DF-8EE2-C12270239315.jpeg

I went with the lightest setup I could off of my philosophy of movement and speed is survival, and I like covering a lot of ground overlanding. I don’t weigh down the bed with elaborate kitchen setups and pointless gear that looks cool.

I have videos of me doing 80+ mph in Western Colorado heading into Utah (La Sal mountains) on dirt track and tundra. I just try to be careful not to jump it. Uptop says maximum speed with the rack in is 75mph. I’m amazed how well it’s stayed on and never worked loose. I’ll do 80-90mph on freeway for large chunks of driving with no problem.

The rack is attached to the t-slot rail system of the Retrax tonneau. BIG POINT: I strongly feel that the height of my rack with where the top of the tent is in relation to the roofline contributes greatly to keeping the tent and rack on the bed and in place. I believe that the airflow over the roof of the cab has aerodynamics forcing the air down on the top of the tent rather than putting air underneath it if the rack was higher and thus creating a lot of force in lift to rip it off.