Gen 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JamesK

Reaction score
Got the wrench symbol today and now truck wont shift lower than 3rd, even when coming to complete stop truck starts from 3rd gear. Recently had transmission filter and fluid changed at 150,000 miles, prior to that no problems. Any suggestions, ideas welcome.
It's probably the lead frame in the transmission. I just had mine done under warranty and it's a 2011. Similar issues except mine wouldn't shift past 3rd gear. Check your vin online for the recall.

jondle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had same symptoms and it was just the wiring. The wiring for the transmission wraps around the exhaust manifold. If the clips break that hold the wires, they get too close to the header and melt.

I wasn't able to find a new wiring harness. Dealer said they no longer make them. It had to be repaired.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
just spoke to dealership and they claim that because truck has over 150,000 miles, actually 150,980, that the lead frame is no longer under warranty. They also said that although manual suggests filter and fluid change at 150,000 they tell customers that sometimes its best to leave well enough alone and not do the service as new fluid and filter tend to "stir things up" and could lead to other issues!! They further said that wait time to have a technician look at and diagnose is 21-28 days and since its out of warranty to take vehicle to a qualified transmission repair shop. If i didn't have bad luck i wouldn't have any luck at all !!!!
This "advice" from the dealership is the stupidest thing I've read outside of politics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjorn-dpc