Gen 1 Raptor Options - Pls help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
R

rcb054

Reaction score
+5 more

Attachments

• IMG_8384.jpg
    IMG_8384.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8966.jpg
    IMG_8966.jpg
    242.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9559.jpg
    IMG_9559.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9790.jpg
    IMG_9790.jpg
    267.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_9933.jpg
    IMG_9933.jpg
    258.1 KB · Views: 14

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that looks surprising good! i can see some rust here and there but not a deal breaker especially if you plan on using it yourself year round

maybe seller A is like hey i got a truck for sale and prolly doesnt know much or for the price will sell without much effort

maybe fly out there

forgot about the diff

Last edited:

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If it were possible, seeing both in person might make the decision.
I would have a hard time deciding without an in person look and drive.
While B looks good with what is shown, rockers and cab corners get ate alive by any salt/chloride in my area. Didn't see too much detail in those areas and those would be my first and biggest concerns. Seller of A may be getting a lot of less than serious contacts and tired of answering a ton of questions for folks that have no real interest in purchase. I know I have dealt with FAR too many "buyers" that seemed to looking for conversation not really a new ride. Good luck and happy shopping.

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my thoughts too about rockers and cab corners which could have been "fixed." though i doubt truck B was used during the winter or after snow storms. any gen 1 truck by me has rust and holes practically everywhere

TrailRunner

Reaction score
my thoughts too about rockers and cab corners which could have been "fixed." though i doubt truck B was used during the winter or after snow storms. any gen 1 truck by me has rust and holes practically everywhere
Generally a safe bet to assume there's at least SOME rust.

FWIW, my '12 Raptor looked PRISTINE from the dealer pics when I bought it with 55k mileage in 2020. Looked practically the same as OP's pics of the underbelly. No rust whatsoever for a truck from MA.

Came to find out that the fresh touch-up coat of black paint started flaking off revealing a significant amount of rust on the frame less than three months later. I contacted the dealership I purchased it from and they just said "Too bad, the CARFAX was clean."

Basically I'm just saying that pictures can be deceiving and issues can be concealed. With over 125k miles on option B, I think its reasonable to say that there's bound to be more wear and tear. Also consider that Option A might not be a purposely shady seller. The guy might just be responding to multiple enquiries and not have saved receipts from each and every oil change, so he can't confidently say oil was changed religiously according to the maintenance schedule.

Have you considered waiting to purchase a truck? Maybe something from a seller closer to home that you can test drive? No matter what, you're going to probably be dealing with little ankle-biter issues with a 10+ year old truck. But don't overthink it. I love my Rap to death, rust and all. 81k miles on it now and it's still going strong.

OP
OP
R

rcb054

Reaction score
Generally a safe bet to assume there's at least SOME rust.

FWIW, my '12 Raptor looked PRISTINE from the dealer pics when I bought it with 55k mileage in 2020. Looked practically the same as OP's pics of the underbelly. No rust whatsoever for a truck from MA.

Came to find out that the fresh touch-up coat of black paint started flaking off revealing a significant amount of rust on the frame less than three months later. I contacted the dealership I purchased it from and they just said "Too bad, the CARFAX was clean."

Basically I'm just saying that pictures can be deceiving and issues can be concealed. With over 125k miles on option B, I think its reasonable to say that there's bound to be more wear and tear. Also consider that Option A might not be a purposely shady seller. The guy might just be responding to multiple enquiries and not have saved receipts from each and every oil change, so he can't confidently say oil was changed religiously according to the maintenance schedule.

Have you considered waiting to purchase a truck? Maybe something from a seller closer to home that you can test drive? No matter what, you're going to probably be dealing with little ankle-biter issues with a 10+ year old truck. But don't overthink it. I love my Rap to death, rust and all. 81k miles on it now and it's still going strong.
That's scary and just sad people and dealers are so dishonest but not surprised. Are there any tell tales for identifying this sort of thing or not really?

someday

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if everything is sprayed down in undercoating that would be a clue. the body is the main and weak link. ive seen bodies falling apart but the frames still good

ive seen older gen frames break in half but i recently seen a rotted out 12th gen 09-14 and the frame only had surface rust.

Last edited: